Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 23, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

considering the crux section

Trip reports are priceless! Even when we disagree on details, the different perspectives are valuable.

I've done 41 14ers, but none of the most risky top 5...and I don't intend to do those. But my favorites have been many of the next tier ones in terms of adrenaline, like Wetterhorn, the Crestones and the Chicago Basin trio; so I have some experience with loose sections.
So with that context I'd like to say that the crux on Uncompahgre was more than I expected. I'd argue that the short, steep, loose section is beyond class 2. I was not personally nervous on it except for the fact that my teen daughter was with me.

It is a very short section, but as you can see some will find it necessary to sit and ease down a couple of places.
From the picture I've attached you hopefully will not be too surprised.
You will not need hands to pull up, but you will likely use them for gentle help with balance. I say gentle because the rocks are too loose to count on for any support.

But when you are past this very short section then the rest is trivial and the peak is awesome!
Uncomp. crux

waterfall and pools

This waterfall is right on the trail not far above treeline. But take the extra couple of minutes to go down to it and check out the pools and the ice patch it falls into. I even saw an American Dipper in the pool. This is a bird species that eats insects from the bottom of streams.
waterfall and pools

view from SE pt 12,932

After looking at the narrow ridge to the SE of the mountain for most of the hike up I could not resist walking over to it. It is SE of the trail junction with Matterhorn and Nellie Creek trails. I did not have time to go up the 2nd point (13,158), but from the first point the view of Uncomp was awesome.
view from SE 12,932

Comments

No comments posted yet.