is a pretty high mountain located in the Vanoise Groups
in France. With 3357 meters the mountain has an interesting altitude and offers a great view towards the surrounding mountain groups. It has an isolated place in the Vanoise Groups
and rises high above the smal mountain village Bonneval Sur Arc
The name of the mountain makes you think that it is covered with black rock. This is not the case, Ouille Noire
has a big summit plateau wich is almost allways covered with snow. The name has to do with the black shales on the mountain slopes, wich are very loose and black. Ouille means "running water"
in Savoyard (Frence dialect). So the name of the mountain means something like "Black running water"
In good conditions the normal route to the summit is a hike of high altitude and has no technicall difficulties. Due to the road over the Iseran pass, the mountain can be climbed in half a day. It is a shame that the start of the climb is in the big ski area of Val d'Isère
Getting ThereBy Car
* From south: Autoroute (Motorway) A43 : Grenoble-Chambéry-Turin. Exit at Modane. Then RN6 in Modane towards Lanslebourg. From Lanslebourg follow D902 towards the Iseran pass.
* From north: Motorway A43 to Albertville. Take the road N90 to Moutiers. From Moutiers take road D902 to Bourg St Maurice, Val d'Isère and the Iseran pass. Cross the Iseran pass.
The road of the Iseran pass is closed in winter!
By Public Transport
* International Trainstation in Modane
(International Station of Modane), about 4 hours from Paris by TGV (High Speed Train). From Modane there is a Shuttle Bus to Bonneval-sur-Arc : Transavoie Company. (Check: www.altibus.com
* Starting point : First turn under the Iseran pass, south side (coté Maurienne / 2710m.).
* Alpine climbing grade : F / 25-30° snow, a lot of loose rock.
* Time required : 2h 30' for 640 meters.
Start at parking lot besides the Iseran pass road. Cross the river under the skilift and go east in the valley that leads to the Pass Ouille Noire. You have to cross three streams. Find your way up to the Ouille Noire pass, try to stay left to avoid some climbing in loose rock. At the pass (3229m.) you'll have to follow the North ridge of the Ouille Noire that leads all the way to the big summit plateau.
Check the Map below for an impression of the route (don't use it while climbing!).
Selfdrawn map of the Area Selfdrawn map of the normal route on the Ouille Noire
Mountain conditions and MapMountain conditions:
Parc de la Vanoise :
135 rue du Docteur Julliand, BP 705, 73007 Chambéry cedex
Tél. 04.79.62.30.54. Fax. 04.79.96.37.18
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
* Carte de randonnée 3633ET, 1 / 25:000 (Tignes, Val d'Isère, Haute Maurienne, PN Vanoise.)
* Tourist office Val d'Isere: www.valdisere.com
* Tourist office Bonneval Sur Arce: www.bonneval-sur-arc.com
* Weather forecast: www.meteofrance.fr
* Public Transport (Train): www.sncf.com
* Altibus: www.altibus.com
* Map: www.cartes-plans.com
* Vanoise: www.vanoise.com