Ascent Pants

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ascent Pants
Manufacturer Mountain Hardwear
Page By GuitarWIzard
Page Type Mar 15, 2002 / Mar 15, 2002
Object ID 174
Hits 4579
Vote
The Ascent Pant is stylish enough to travel city streets while technical enough to roam the backcountry. Features Mountain Hardwear's exclusive two-layer, waterproof/breathable Conduit fabric, it is great for skiing or boarding or day-to-day protection from rain and snow. The supple hand makes it a pleasure to wear. Equipped with intelligent details such as a reinforced seat and knees, Ambush edge guards that protect the inner legs, Simplex side zips, built-in powder cuffs that convert to gaiters and a stretch Lycra back panel, it boasts features usually found only on the most premium shells.


Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

GuitarWIzard - Mar 15, 2002 12:38 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Being a big fan of Gore-Tex, I was a bit leary at first of buying non Gore-Tex shell pants, particularly ones that cost $200. However, given the Mountain Hardware reputation, I decided to try 'em out. They are average weight, and fairly compressible, given the amount of reinforced fabric. The knees and butt are bombproof.....the insides of the shins are crampon-proof. I have yet to still figure out why companies include built in "gaiters" on pants, since everyone who climbs in the winter uses gaiters anyway......must be for recreational skiers. The pants have full side zips, although I wish the zippers were a bit bigger, as it would make life so much easier. They can be a pain to get the zipper started. However, these pants don't seem to slide down my butt with a backpack on, even without suspenders, which is a definite plus in my book. After a half hour of glissading, my butt was still dry (and numb). In winds over 100 mph, they performed like a champ. Make sure you try these pants on before you buy them, as if you try and size them compared to say, TNF pants, you might be in for a bit of a surprise. I wear a size M in TNF, but for these pants, I might've gotten a L. I can fit layers underneath them, but when glissading, they have a tendancy of riding up and crushing my nuts, which gets very painful. However, for everything else, the fit is good.

NYC007 - Feb 23, 2003 7:51 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have own GTX, non- breathable, and every other type of WP pants. These are great pant, water has never leaked though, very breathable and best of all bought for $99. I dont see the need to spend 400 on GTX pants when its the same thing.. Do the research and you will see how close and every companies like GTX products actually come from 1 company that unlike GTX doesnt charge $$$..just a lil bit of info

Bryan W - Jun 4, 2003 4:19 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I love these pants. They are very versatile and were perfect for warmer slog type conditions and also for cold alpine conditions. The knees and butt are reinforced. Also, the reinforced angle area for crampon rip protection is a plus. I have had no problem with water leaking in and they are very breathable and the legs zips are nice for venting. I would recommend buying the suspenders to help keep them up.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3