B5 Approach

 

B5 Approach
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title B5 Approach
Manufacturer La Sportiva
Page By awagher
Page Type Jan 24, 2007 / Jan 24, 2007
Object ID 2058
Hits 4553
Vote

Approach Shoe

This sticky puppy feathers the edge between approach shoe and climbing boot, offering beaucoup impact resistance, killer support and a snug, precise fit.

Fully randed toe box and FriXion® XT under the foot – sticky XF rubber in the “climbing zone” makes the B5 shine on easier routes
Save your knees: patent-pending Impact Brake System (IBS) lugs and softer AT lugs in the impact zones take the pain for you
Low-profile lacing system won't snag in cracks
Narrow chiseled toe box for amazing technical climbing performance
Finally: An approach-shoe hybrid that walks the talk!
COLOR: Red UPPER: Leather/Flex Tec 2/FriXion® rubber rands CONSTRUCTION: Board Lasted LAST: Hi-per LINING: Mesh SOLE: FriXion® XT/Approach IBS MIDSOLE: Micropore EVA INSOLE: 2mm polypropylene WEIGHT: 1 lbs 10 oz


Features

Add Features text here.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

awagher - Jan 24, 2007 10:03 pm - Voted 2/5

Bad Design?
Got a pair of these at close to $100. Wore them to climb Mt. Muir. The toe box ripped out before I got back to the trailhead. I think there is a design flaw in the rand / leather connection at the outside of the toe. They need a higher rand around the toe and a little bit tougher construction for it to be an awesome shoe. They were very comfortable and light - responsive and sticky as well. That damned toe though...maybe next model...

climbxclimb - Apr 2, 2007 11:18 pm - Voted 4/5

The second time better...
The first pair I bought, broke after a month of usage...
I exchanged them at EMS with the same pair, trusting La Sportiva name on them....until now they are in good shape after a few months.
I heard of other people having the same problem.
If they do not brake they are a very good pair of shoes, good looking too...

GCutforth - Apr 5, 2008 3:36 pm - Voted 4/5

Same Experience
The first pair I bought of these blew out on the first major trip that I used them. Apparently this was quite common and MEC in Canada recalled all of them. I also had mine replaced and have been very happy with the shoe since.

I find them light, comfortable and technically sound. I would like more support, but that is a compromise for shoe size and weight I suppose.

All in all I would recommend this shoe and was very happy to see it offered in more mellow colours than the original Rockstar Red.

Dow Williams - Mar 10, 2009 10:31 am - Voted 1/5

Size
Make sure you order a full Euro size down, not for climbing fit, just regular fit. Backcountry.com currently has them on sale for $59.

Dow Williams - Apr 5, 2009 1:21 pm - Voted 1/5

B5's
I am a huge fan of La Sportiva in general, ice boots, mirua climbing shoes and the exum approach shoe. I read some of the reviews on these B5's and thought maybe I could climb up to 5.9 in them and how nice would that be? Well, first of all, I know La Sportiva keeps messing with their sizes...I know as folks are getting more obese, small pants for example get wider and shorter...I guess there must be a self conscious thing about foot size as well. Pretty soon, my feet will have shrunk from 10.5 to 9 by La Sportiva's standards. Of course you are not positive a shoe is too small until you have battle tested it, then of course I would not return it. Definitely order a full Euro size smaller than you are use to if not 1.5- 2 Euro size smaller. If the B5 is too large on your foot, you will not trust it on 5.8 smearing, because of course it is still just an approach shoe. I can't recommend it. Instead go with Exum and just lace up the climbing shoe for anything 5.8 and above.

Props - May 12, 2010 3:14 pm - Voted 4/5

B5
I bought a pair of these on clearance mostly for use as a canyon shoe. Considering what I would be using them for and their price, I figured that if the fell apart it would be no great loss. They've been through a few canyons so far, beat up, filled with slimy mud etc. and I haven't had any durability problems with them. The lacing system adjusts easily between stiff and dry to stretchy and wet. Their tread pattern clears mud easily and I really like them. Also, I haven't experienced the sizing problem that Dow did. Maybe they made some corrections near the end of their product run.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6