Coyote Snow Picket

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Coyote Snow Picket
Manufacturer MSR
Page By GuitarWIzard
Page Type Apr 26, 2002 / Apr 26, 2002
Object ID 227
Hits 12252
Vote
Coyotes use a unique design and aircraft-grade aluminum for a lighter, stiffer picket. Ideal for anchoring a tent or gear while mountaineering, or for crevasse rescue.
  • Heat-treated aircraft-grade aluminum is extruded into a modified T-shape for extra stiffness and holding power
  • Attachment points at 3" intervals along neutral axis for faster, easier clip-ins
  • Can be pounded in from either end or buried horzontally with a center-attached runner for a deadman anchor
Accolades:Similar Products: SMC Snow Picket, Yates Cable & Expedition Pickets

Reviews


Viewing: 1-8 of 8

GuitarWIzard - Apr 26, 2002 11:45 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have the 2 footers, and they hold fairly well for their size (although I will be getting 3 footers for next season). They're nice and lightweight, which is a plus. Not really much else to say....they're light, and work :).

Brian Jenkins - Jul 14, 2002 5:53 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Good items. Work well. Only downside is that the tips can get kinda beat up from hammering them in. Guess that's the trade off for them being so lightweight. But they are not so expensive that you couldn't just get new ones if needed. I have both a 2 foot and a 3 foot picket and they deliver as advertized.

marcminish - Aug 8, 2002 7:00 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
It's hard to mess up a snow picket. I have both lengths and they work well. However, if you are going to have to fly with your gear you can forget taking the 3-footers. They will not fit into your luggage easily and you'll get very strange looks from the baggage check in guy... not to mention a body cavity search.

Martin Cash - Mar 1, 2003 8:42 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Readily available and fairly inexpensive, the Coyote is the standard piece of protection used on steep snow and glacier routes. I picked my 24 inchers up for $12 each. They are reliable, lightweight, and versatile. When the snow if really soft, and you are worried about it pulling out, you can bury it extremely deep by digging a T with your ice axe. I like threading my runners directly to the Coyote, to save a little weight.

The only thing I'd like to see is a bulked up end for hammering and a sharply tapered end to go into the snow. That would make it penetrate rock hard styrofoam snow easier.

dsnell - Aug 6, 2003 12:17 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
The ultimate in firm snow protection. For glacier climbing, I don't think pickets can be beat. I haven't ever loaded one (fortunately), but I've pounded them in for running protection on snow climbs. When placed properly, they feel bomber, but can be a bitch to get out. They obviously don't work in soft snow. Flukes work better in these conditions. Pickets are also light enough that they can (and should) be carried for emergency anchors while crossing glaciers (in case you need to rig a Z-pulley).

I agree with the other reviewer who said a bulked up head would be nice. The tops of my pickets are pretty ragged after being beaten into the snow.

vertx - Sep 30, 2003 12:31 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Bomber protection for running belays and emergency situations. I never climb on glaciers without them. Light, durable and well manufactured.

travisgollaher - Oct 6, 2005 1:35 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have the 24 inch version and have no complaints they are light weight and fit well on my pack ,good construction if you can say that about a snow picket. You can't mess theese up. Look for a sale you might get them cheeper than the advertised price.I bought two for $24.00.

tommi - Aug 16, 2007 5:50 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
My opinion is, thats the only snow picket that makes sin, and the only well working picket.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8