Crux

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Crux
Manufacturer Optimus
Page By D Smith
Page Type Jun 15, 2004 / Jun 15, 2004
Object ID 1092
Hits 3499
Vote
From REI.com:

This stove's compact, clever design is an award winner!
  • This stove is so compact, its carrying case is designed to fit in the concave bottom of a fuel cartridge!
  • Cleverly engineered construction allows the stove to be folded for compact storage; spring-loaded design easily snaps into operating position
  • Two-inch burner head spreads the flame evenly; flip-out pot supports provide a 4.5 inch cooking surface and directional windscreen
  • Spring-tensioned flame-control valve adjusts flame from steady simmer to rolling boil; control wire is sized for glove-friendly operation
  • Unique storage bag is designed to attach to the bottom of a Brunton® butane fuel cartridge, sold separately
  • Brunton Can Stand sold separately
  • Reviews


    Viewing: 1-2 of 2

    D Smith - Jun 15, 2004 3:36 pm - Voted 4/5

    Untitled Review
    I am really impressed with the simplicity and compactness of this stove's design. The under-the-canister storage mechanism is brilliant. This stove boils water very fast, and the simmer controls are very good.

    Kind of expensive, but definitely a must-have for weekend backpacking trips when you want to go light.

    (8/2/2004 update)
    I am downgrading my rating for this stove from 5 to 4 stars: On a recent backpacking trip in Alaska with 5 other people, I had some problems with the fold-out pot supports on this stove.

    Optimus has greatly sacrificed strength and stability to keep this stove light and compact -- At high heat, the supports would become red-hot and eventually bend under the weight of a full pot of boiling water, thus spilling the contents. I was able to bend them back using a metal fork while the flame was still going, but still kind of a pain (and I wasted a liter of near-boiling water.)

    So, my overall assessment is that this is a great stove if you're cooking just for yourself or small (< 1 liter) amounts of water, but definitely not good for large amounts (> 1 liter of water) or if constant stirring or use of a spatula is involved.

    Aksel - May 17, 2009 6:45 am - Voted 1/5

    Crux
    I had one of these a couple of years ago.It stopped working after about a year of use.I tried to dissasemble the stove to find the cause of the malfunction,but with no sucsess.Before it died i found it to be an ok stove,but the folding system and pot support was easily bent when using normal size pots.This stove is obviously designed for small titanium pots.

    Viewing: 1-2 of 2