Ghost

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ghost
Manufacturer Mountainsmith
Page By ScottyS
Page Type Jan 28, 2004 / Jan 28, 2004
Object ID 994
Hits 2591
Vote
From the Mountainsmith Site:



The Ghost is an ultra-lightweight pack that delivers minimalist suspension with big-time comfort. Perfect for adventure racers or those who just really like to travel light.



FEATURES



---Panel load for light weight and ease of access

---Full suspension allows for a carrying load of up to 30 lbs

---Interior hydration reservoir pocket with shingled exit port for effortless hydration

---Side mesh pockets for water bottles and tent poles

---Side compression straps compress pack and allow for adding on accessories or gear

---Ice axe loop

---Quick-store bungie

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

ScottyS - Jan 28, 2004 8:52 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Overview

I have a 2001-2002 model, which was the older blue version. I have not seen the newest design, but it looks like they have made some minor changes.



Overall this is a great pack. In fact, its almost perfect. The weight and comfort level is out of this world. The first trip I took it on involved a ~40 lb load of overweek gear on a 10+ mile hike into Saguaro Nat'l Park in Arizona. I was hooked, and have used it on a few interesting trips since then. I've even done some climbing with it loaded, up to 5.7 or so. More on performance later.



Highlights

The darn pack is so comfortable that it's a pleasure to wear. The hydration pocket is a nice bonus, and the belt is ample and cushy. The extra-thick, water-resistant zipper is heavy-duty, and the material has been really durable. I don't use the bungee often, but it's a nice accessory. I have a feeling that my pack is just fit to my torso perfectly, because I can't stop talking about the level of comfort (did I mention how nice the hiking experience is?). With such a huge capacity, you are set for overnighters or better.



Minor Drawbacks

There are some issues with my model, and I hope some of these were addressed in the latest edition:

1) Small hydration pocket The hydration pocket needs to be taller (there's plenty of room) and/or provided with a hanger of some kind to keep the bladder in position.

2) Only one main compartment Not really a drawback if you know what you are getting into. There is a small key/valuables pocket on the inside, but that's it. Saves weight, I'm sure.

3) Bottom material wears at corners I used this pack for fieldwork as well, and because of the constant setting down the corners on the base where the fiberglass hoop hooks internally got worn fast. Needs a fix.

4) Internal hoop contacts the head when climbing When doing 4th-5th class moves, or just when looking straight up, the head is prevented from moving to dead vertical by the internal frame. A factor to consider --- not a full-time climbing pack.

Without that last complaint, I would have gone full stars.....



Performance

This pack helped me on the following trips:

---Week pack trip into Saguaro for fieldwork

---Dayhiking Split Mt., CA, USA

---Dayhiking the East Face of Mt. Whitney, CA, USA

---Dayhiking the N.E. Ridge of Mt. Williamson, CA, USA

---Summiting all 5 Palisade 14'ers in a day, CA, USA

---Climbing Pico de Orizaba from Hildago(sp?) in two days, Mexico

---Plenty of fieldwork, and probably a few other things that I forgot...



Bottom Line

This pack rocks. Get it.



rasgoat - Jan 27, 2007 2:35 pm - Voted 3/5

I agree
with the review above except, because of the drawbacks mentioned above, which are very accurate, I feel that there may be a better pack out there.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2