GPSMap 60CS

 

GPSMap 60CS
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title GPSMap 60CS
Manufacturer Garmin
Page By Alan Ellis
Page Type Mar 3, 2004 / Jan 20, 2007
Object ID 1026
Hits 12821
Vote
The GPSMAP® 60CS is a new all-purpose units—packed with exciting new features and delivering the kind of color that consumers want in their handheld GPS’s. This lightweight, rugged, waterproof units raise the bar to offer a 256-color, highly reflective display that provides easy viewing in almost any lighting condition. This transreflective TFT provides excellent viewing while maximizing your battery life (30 hours, typical use).



The GPSMAP 60CS is packed with extra features, including rapid automatic route calculation, an integrated outdoor calendar, a dedicated geocaching mode, and indoor/outdoor GPS games that turn the outdoors into a giant gameboard.



The GPSMAP 60CS offers an electronic compass and barometric altimeter for highland adventures. These sensors, when combined with GPS technology, provide enhanced bearing and elevation readings.



Features:

- Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still

- Barometric sensor with automatic pressure trend recording

- Sunlight-readable display with 256-color transreflective TFT display (1.5" W x 2.2" H; 2.6" diagonally); color operating system with new look-and-feel

- Faster processor, with auto routing, turn-by-turn directions, and audio alerts along city streets or trails when using MapSource® City Select® or 24K Topo software (optional software)

- 56 MB of internal memory for storing map detail

- Permanent user data storage

- Each day’s best hunting and fishing times—along with sunrise/sunset times—on the integrated Outdoor Calendar

- Special geocaching navigation mode

- Geolocation games, such Virtual Maze, Nibbons, Geko™ Smak, Memory Race, and Gekoids

- Fast map transfer, with support for both USB and serial port interfaces

- Detailed basemap with general map data, including highways, major roads, river, lakes, and borders

- Dedicated "mark", "page", "enter", "quit", "menu", "find", and "zoom out/in" buttons; four-position rocker pad

- 2.4" x 6.1" x 1.3" (W x H x D) unit dimensions

- Weighs 5.4 ounces (with batteries)

- WAAS GPS receiver with accuracy to 10 feet in North America; built-in quad-helix antenna for better satellite reception

- 20 hours of battery life under typical-use conditions (uses two "AA" batteries)

- Multi-platform navigation for easy navigation in a car, in a boat, or on foot

- Accepts data from MapSource products (City Select for driving, U.S. Topo and 24K Topo for hiking, Recreation Lakes for freshwater, and BlueChart® for saltwater applications)

- Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)

- 50 reversible routes, 10,000 track points with TracBack® technology (navigate to any track point on the displayed map), and 1000 waypoints with additional graphical icons for location identification

- Proximity alerts for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint; built-in alarm clock

- User-configurable track-line color, waypoint projection, display color scheme, large-numbers option, audio tones, and pages (turn on/off main pages or change the sequence in which they appear)

- Elevation computer provides current elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum and maximum elevation, total ascent and descent, average and maximum ascent and descent rate

- Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more







Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-9 of 9

Joseph Bullough - Jul 21, 2004 1:32 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
After using an etrex Vista for 2 years I decided to step up to the new GPSMap 60CS. After several months of use I'm thoroughly pleased with the 60CS. Battery life is considerably increased over the Vista, and the button arrangement seems more logical as well as easier to operate than the rubber covered approach used on the Vista. The 4-way toggle button is a welcome improvement over the Vista click-stick, being both easier to operate and more precise. The color display is fantastic, easily readable in just about any lighting conditions.

Alan Ellis - Dec 29, 2004 9:19 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
WOW! This unit is far superior than my old Garmin III+. It has so many features and goodies that you will never get tired of it. The color display is incredible and is easy to see in full sun. My favorite feature is the sun/moon data for anywhere in the world for any date or time you choose. Thanks, Santa!

Updated September 2007: This unit turned out to be a piece of crap. It was so buggy, that it would shut itself down for no reason. It would also give a "no signal" warning in clear skies. I was glad to get rid of it. Don't buy a used one.

vertx - Jan 22, 2007 3:53 am - Hasn't voted

Awesome
I have used the Etrex Vista for a couple years and just bought a new 60CSx. It is amazing what a couple years of technology will do! The first thing I noticed was how much faster it aquired sats...just a few seconds. The batteries last longer and the color display is fantastic. This is even easier to use than the vista and has features pouring out of it. It is a little on the expensive side but well worth it. Highly recomended!

Dustiano - Jan 22, 2007 6:47 pm - Voted 5/5

Great
I used my 60CS for about a year before it took an unfortunate fall from the roof of my moving car. I thought the screen was very ledgible, even in sunlight. I have since upgraded to a 60CSX, as it has more memory (expandable) and its satellite lock is second to none. It gets reception in my glovebox.

BSPclimber - Jan 26, 2007 4:21 pm - Voted 5/5

60CSx Rules
I recently purchased a 60CSx to replace my old Magellan 315, and I must agree with Vertx and Dustiano...fast sat reception, great screen, every feature you could think of ever wanting. I even get reception in my basement!

herbie - Feb 12, 2007 2:01 pm - Voted 5/5

CSX
I owned the 60 CS which is described above by Alan.
Though I already liked it a lot, I changed it for the 60 CSX (the unit is looking absolutely similar from outside, except the type printing) one year ago because of 2 reasons: the new SIRF 3 receiver AND the micro-SD memory card.
The unit is fantastic, the best I ever had (with the current firmware, there were some problems when it hit the market one year ago).
What I like especially:
.) The unlimited tracklog (it is only limited by the size of the memory card). I use it with a 1 GB memory card containing both maps for street navigation and topo maps. And there is still room for months of tracklogging (every day is saved as separate file, containing ALL information - date, time, elevation, coordinates).
.) The SIRF 3 receiver, which has a fantastic reception, even in gorges or under wet treecover,
.) the power via USB, which the older CS-unit did not have.

Take care when reading the reviews here, because some are for the older CS, and some for the newer CSX (like mine).
Both units are good, but the CSX has the above mentioned features, which convinced me exchanging my CS for the CSX, and I didn't regret it!

Dennis Poulin - Feb 21, 2007 4:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Garmin
I LOVE my GPSMap 60CS. It's easy to use and has saved my butt a couple of times. The batteries last all day, so I leave it on for my entire hike. This sure helps finding the car at the end of the day.

Troll - Feb 5, 2008 8:59 am - Voted 4/5

Good, but...
Great device, but "total ascent" feature drives me crazy. :-( I climb from 2000m to 3000m and GPS shows i climbed "total ascent" 800hm. Strange. But more often, i climb "total ascent" 1000hm (checked on Suunto 203 altimeter and on PC), but GPS shows 1400hm. I makes mistake of 1/3 easily. :-( The rest is OK.

Drunkcaballo - Mar 28, 2008 12:26 am - Hasn't voted

Great GPS!
Ive had mine for 2 or 3 years now. This thing has more features than I even know what to do with. The magnetic compass is the best feature. I used to have a Garmin Legend, and it used to drive me crazy how the compass would get confused unless you were moving at a steady pace. The antenna works in pretty good tree cover too.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9