Helix Works

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Helix Works
Manufacturer Timex
Page By rcorby2
Page Type May 19, 2002 / May 19, 2002
Object ID 293
Hits 7115
Vote

Altimeter function features a 20-segment memory that tracks vertical ascent and descent rate; displayed in either meters or feet.

Barometer monitors changes in the barometric pressure to forewarn of changing weather patterns.

Thermometer function displays temperature in either Celsius or Fahrenheit .

Digital compass displays bearing and direction of travel
Features 100-hour chronograph, countdown timer, 12/24 hour time format, programmable alarms and second time zone
Mode lock keeps setting from being accidentally changed
Indiglo® night-light illuminates the entire face, so it can be easily read in the dark .

Durable, waterproof polyurethane watchband stands up to rugged outdoor use.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

rcorby2 - May 19, 2002 8:08 am - Voted 2/5

Untitled Review
This watch has a significant amount of functionality and at a great price. However, I found the dial (located on the lower RH side of watch face) to be completely irritating. To view the different functions of the watch, the dial is turned using your fingers. I found it's responsiveness to be pretty inconsistent. As a result, I returned the watch and will probably look at the more expensive Suunto version.

tonyo - Sep 17, 2003 2:08 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I have the Helix (no compass). The altimeter has been very accurate, but the thermometer seems to register much to high - by about 10 degrees. This is the same whether I have the watch on or off. The price was great though - $60 from either REI outlet or Campmor (can't remember which). Very easy to use.

Norman - Oct 7, 2003 8:37 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought the Timex "Helix" because of the $59.97 price from the cataog of Campmor. You can order on line at www.campmor.com, item # 87216-F. I have no experience with wrist/watch altimeter/barometer/and more, but this was easy to learn and use. I am sure you can buy better, but for the price and my use, it has been great to have. The altimeter stops at 18,000 feet, so if you go to South America or Nepal forget it, but for the average climber, like me, I highly reccommend it.

keema - Dec 28, 2003 10:37 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I also bought the Helix from Campmor because of the price. I have a compass. So far the watch has performed well. The altitude reading is accurate and is easy to calibrate. If you wish to have accurate temperature readings, the watch needs to be off your wrist as body heat affects the readings. I have strapped it onto a loop on the shoulder strap of my pack. It is easily readable and gives a more accurate temperature reading for those interested in such data. Becareful to lock the display or it may be inadvertantly changed if something twists the crown knob

kovarpa - Mar 11, 2004 10:46 pm - Voted 2/5

Untitled Review
I bought the Helix (without the compass) for $60 at Campmor, primarily based on the good reviews I read here. I guess I am the one who got a faulty unit - the altimeter (which is a function I mainly bought it for) was entirely inaccurate. I would calibrate it at trailhead and within 1000 ft it would be off by 200 ft, that is 20% off!! On the top of Mt. Whithey I would calibrate it and while staying on the summit, the altitude would change by 30 ft each way - all this in perfectly clear and stable weather. Also while hiking, the elevation would change by 500 ft in 5 minutes... All the other functions worked fine, I liked having the alarm (so you can get up at 3.30am to climb :-)) but due to the altimeter inaccuracy I had to return it.

jwine - Jul 2, 2004 3:52 pm - Voted 1/5

Untitled Review
Ok, there is one thing this watch does well... telling you what altitude you are not at! I will set it and just stand there and watch it change all over the place! And the thermometer is worthless as it picks up your body heat. Save your money!

chmoore577 - Nov 3, 2005 8:47 am - Voted 2/5

Untitled Review
Disappointing. The thermometer is only accurate if you are not wearing the watch. Strap it to your tent or backpack if you want any accurate temperature readings. On a 60 degree day, i have had it reading in the 90's due to body heat when worn on the arm. The altimeter is consistently off by 100 to 200 feet so it can give you a basic approximation of elevation but can not be used as a precise instrument.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7