Hyper

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Hyper
Manufacturer La Sportiva
Page By HeMa
Page Type Jul 29, 2002 / Jul 29, 2002
Object ID 423
Hits 5301
Vote
Super bombproof, extremely technical and hyper stylin', the Hyper features an all leather upper built on our new asymmetrical Hyper last. The dual density Ama Dablam sticky lugged outsole, made exclusively for La Sportiva, provides incredibly stable footing. Durable Kevlar lace loops and a tapered nylon midsole with an Air-Tech mesh lining complete this package.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

ben jammin - Aug 2, 2002 9:44 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Got a pair of these a while back with great expectations of having found the ideal approach shoe, but after wearing them for a while I'm still left unsatisfied. Maybe my expectations of these shoes were just unrealistic?



On the plus side, the grip that the Vibram soles offer is great, the heel support is very good when carrying heavy loads and the shoes are pretty robust. You feel very secure in these shoes when scrambling on easier rock.



My main problems with the LaSportiva Hypers are the following:

1. Their weight is substantial - certainly more that you comfortably want to carry clipped to your harness if you plan to walk off from a climb.

2. The mid-sole is pretty firm and unforgiving, and after a long day's walking the lack of cushioning leads to somewhat tired feet.

3. After 1 years moderate use the wear on the soles is greater than I would have expected - maybe that's a penalty for the superb grip.



So, to summarise:

Grip and security of footing: 5/5

Weight: 3/5

Cushioning: 3/5

Overall comfort: 4/5



These days I find myself wearing my NewBalance 804 trail-running shoes for almost all aproaches - they're simply more comfortable due to their much lighter weight.



The Hypers come out only when I expect to be doing any significant rock scrambling.



HTH.

HeMa - Jan 23, 2003 3:37 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Great shoes! I use them when going lite or easy summer backpacking, mountainbiking and easy climbing.



The sole is stiff enough to be used with a heavy backpack and the Vibram sole gives goof friction even on wet rock.



I have climbed 5.8 with these, but as I only climb 5.10 with climbing shoes thats not bad at all.



The main problem I have had with these shoes is the soles that do wear out a lot quicker than in my hiking boots. Sometimes another annoying thing is the rocker of the sole, when climbing, as it forces my feet to some positions that I have not used to.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2