Katana

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Katana
Manufacturer La Sportiva
Page By Distel32
Page Type Dec 23, 2002 / Dec 23, 2002
Object ID 608
Hits 4007
Vote
Easy in, easy out--that's the name of the game with these snug-fitting, confidence-inspiring rock shoes.



Built on a modified last, two snug-fitting Velcro® closures wrap your foot in premium leather and sticky rubber for a precision fit

Breathable tongues keep your dogs cool when the temperature is rising

Slip-lasted and lined, the Katana is magic for bouldering and crushing holds on your project

Reviews


Viewing: 1-10 of 10

Distel32 - Jan 27, 2003 8:09 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Shoes are killer! Very comfortable, grips great, and you get a better fit with the velcro. I mainly use them for bouldering and one pitch sport routes and they are awesome. Perfect when you're going to be moving around from climb to climb. To get a good fit though I had to go down to a 40.5 when I wear a 43 street shoe, but it's worth it. The lining is also a big plus.

Erik Beeler - Nov 23, 2003 5:56 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
So far these are durable. I like how they edge. I bought them on the edge of what I could comfortably tolerate so its very nice that you can get them on and more importantly off very easily. I am surprised at how sticky the rubber is. I have only climbed in 5 Tens in the past and only bought these because I couldn't find what I wanted but have not regretted buying them.

... One year later...

Still really like these shoes. They have not stretched noticably and are easy to clean. The leather has stayed soft and the liner has had no irritating spots. I have on-sited 11d in them but the shoes have way more ability to climb hard than I do.

DudeThatMustHurt - Aug 29, 2005 12:41 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Have been using these for about a year and a half now, friction, crack and micro holds. They form fit to your foot very well and offer traction that seems amazing.

I've had my feet push me up on some of the most micro nubs of rock and these shoe take it like your holding a jug.

the inner-forefoot has a "shelf" and the toe point offers you hold options that I feel cannot be rivaled. overall an incredible shoe, and the velcro lacing makes on and off between pitches a blessing.



I've spent a great deal of time in the South Platte area of colorado (friction friction friction) and the crags of Clear Creek Canyon (crack and friction) and could not be more satisfied.



Dan Baker - Oct 27, 2005 5:33 pm - Voted 2/5

Untitled Review
I bought these shoes to stand in for my 5.10 ascents while they get a resole..... I have not been happy with these shoes at all. They are comfortable, but the rubber is not a scratch on the 5.10 stealth ruber and the glue Sportiva uses does not last long at all in my experience - soles began peeling off in no time ( I also have a pair of Lhotse boots and they too fell apart on the first climb). My ascents sick to anything you put your feet on, my Katana's slip off most things I put my feet on. By and large, I am not much of a fan of La Sportiva products.


Cheers and Safe Climbing.

DDPeterson - Feb 5, 2007 9:07 pm - Voted 5/5

Presicion
Katana precision is unbeatable. I've had many pairs of Katanas over the years and they are still hard to beat. From steep pockets, to cracks to friction slabs, the Katanas cut deep into any rock. The fit is comfortable, the lining and building materials stretch very little and the vibram XSV rubber is reliable and durable. I appreciate the opposing velcro system to get a nice snug fit. Expect the stretch to be less than a half size in 6 months of regular use. Go for it... you won't be disappointed.

Scott Rogers - May 7, 2007 12:36 am - Hasn't voted

OK Intermediate Shoe
I have gone through 3 pairs of these shoes, and really liked the climbing in them. At the time I was only sending 5.11 They are a decent gym shoe, and perform ok outside. One of the biggest problems I had with these shoes is that the rubber was constantly delaminating, or peeling off. I take good care of my shoes, and don't leave them in the sun or whatever, but I found that the shoes started to come apart very prematurely. The reason I kept getting new ones is that I got them replaced for free. After a while I just decided to get another shoe altogether. I'll agree that they edge well and have good friction, but they fall apart really fast and really aren't worth it for the price, in my opinion.

Jonas Bäckström - Jun 12, 2007 9:09 am - Voted 4/5

Comfortable
Been using these shoes for a couple of months now, mostly for indoor gym climbing. They are very comfortable but still with a very tight fit. Using 42.5 in this pair and 44.5 in my street/running shoes.

CBakwin - Oct 21, 2008 11:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Yes, comfortable and hold too!
I haven't used these an awful lot yet but they are super comfortable compared to my last shoes, and fit well (I have a wide foot and narrow heel). Also climbing they seem to me to hold very well, don't know about durability yet.

asaking11 - Jun 6, 2009 11:57 am - Voted 5/5

Best Shoe Ever
My first pair of Katana's I used for everything. I used them for sport, trad, bouldering, multipitch, and even indoor a few times. I climbed with these shoes 6 days a week for a year and a half, and then the soles finally started to rip at the toe. I also have a pair of 5.10 that I never use because I feel way more comfortable and confident in my Katana's. When my first pair wore out I bought another pair, and I have been using them for a year now without any problems.

steste - Sep 27, 2009 4:24 am - Hasn't voted

A technical shoe...
...that is enough comfortable too. Coming from the Mythos I wanted to get something more technical. Tried both Miura and Katana then I opted for the Katana's because they are less aggressive and go softer to my feet.
Found the Katana's to be really good both on small holds and friction.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10