Kirk BH-1 Ball Head

 

Kirk BH-1 Ball Head
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Kirk BH-1 Ball Head
Manufacturer Kirk Enterprises
Page By Michael Hoyt
Page Type Jun 6, 2007 / Jun 6, 2007
Object ID 3345
Hits 7751
Vote

Kirk BH-1 Ball Head

Based on the suggestions and urgings of many photographers, Kirk Enterprises offers its own precision ball head designed for a lifetime of trouble-free performance. The Kirk Ball Head features a Satisfaction Guarantee and Five-year Warranty - the best in the industry. It's American Made, in Angola, Indiana.

Weighing in at only 30 ounces, this ball head features silky smooth ball-and-socket action for complete control--just by releasing and locking a single knob. Two smaller knobs control the 360-degree panning base and the amount of ball friction. The BH-1 features a universal quick-release platform with a built-in spirit level that accepts all Arca-style plates and mounts. All external components are crafted from tough, 6061-T aircraft aluminum, including the solid, captive-design knobs. The internal metal parts are stainless steel and brass to avoid corrosion. The ballcup is produced from self-lubricating Delrin composite, and the tripod socket accepts 3/8-inch thread.


Features

Quick Release: with built-in spirit level
Weight: 30 ounces
Construction: aluminum, brass, and stainless steel
Height: 4 9/16 inches
Ball Diameter: 2.125 inches
Pan Base Diameter: 2.9 inches
Ball tilt: 45 & 90 degrees
Pan Base: 360 degree rotation with positive lock
Five-year warranty

Features

Add Features text here.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Michael Hoyt - Jun 6, 2007 4:45 pm - Voted 5/5

Good and Steady
I’ve used this ball head on my Bogen 3021 tripod since 1998. It’s an expensive ball head ($355 - summer 2007) but well worth it.

And it’s heavy. But then, it needs to be. Between it and the tripod, I’m lugging 7.5 pounds. I no longer take this combo on long hikes or climes, but it still gets used on the short ones.

I don't recall the rating for the BH-1, but it's held anything and everything I've mounted on it (heavy Nikon film cameras with long fast lenses). If you want a rock-steady platform from which to shoot pictures, and you’d like a ball head which is easy to use, this is the one for you.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1