Makalu Ultralite Titanium Trekking Poles

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Makalu Ultralite Titanium Trekking Poles
Manufacturer Leki
Page By Andy
Page Type Oct 16, 2002 / Oct 16, 2002
Object ID 517
Hits 35724
Vote
Less is certainly more when you're trekking, skating or climbing with the Leki Makalu Ultralite Titanium. It features an ergonomically designed turbo sport grip made from natural rubber and a Turbo Disc adjustment wheel at the top of the grip, so you have a choice of locking the strap in place or selecting the automatic safety function. The synthetic tip around the steel jacket holding the carbide Flextip is specially designed to flex up to 30 degrees without bending the pole shaft. An ultra-hard carbide tip ensures a grip on ice and rock surfaces. The small trekking baskets can be removed and replaced with larger baskets for winter travel. This interchangeable basket system features a user-friendly design that allows the tips to be screwed on or off without the use of tools--even in the coldest weather conditions.


  • Ideal for trekking, skating or climbing

  • Expands from 23 in. to 52 in. (59 cm. to 130 cm.)

  • Turbo Sport grip

  • Automatic strap

  • Carbide Flextip

  • Interchangeable Basket System

  • Ten-year parts service warranty


Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-10 of 10

Andy - Oct 16, 2002 11:32 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These were a little pricey, but they work great! I haven't had any of the troubles other people have described like having their poles collapse unexpectedly. As described, the tips get incredible grip even on solid rock. They are also really light and collapse to just 23” so they’re really easy to strap to the outside of my pack when I’m not using them.

tsteine - Mar 26, 2004 12:18 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I never was a believer in trkking poles for non snow hikes. But now I am. I love these poles, for the incredible grip they have on anything due to their special tip construction.

4 instead of five stars, for the handle that is a little too narrow for people with big hands.

brusy - Dec 5, 2004 12:02 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Lightwight titanium-aluminium poles. Andy sais his don't collapse, but one of mine does from time to time. It needs to be tighten really well, which is hard in summer if your hands sweat. And takes some energy if you need to adjust them often because of chainging terrain. My girlfriend doesn't have the strenght to losen them. She's got a simillar from komperdell, 40$cheaper from www.sierratradingpost.com which is more reasonable. May have few onces more, but for 60$less is worth it, and they don't collapse and are easy to losen/tighten!!! Poles are not so important like shoes or other stuff so you don't really need to get the best ones. I remember using just a wooden stick I found in the woods and it worked too. Of course this is for non-winter climbing...

Christoph De Windt - Dec 31, 2004 6:12 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I use this poles for 1 year now and I'm satisfied of them. There strong and I never had any trouble with using them. So light are this poles not, I have poles from another brand and they only are 20 gr more heavy. But there are not as strong as the Leki poles. The price of this poles is a littlebit high I think.



Greetz

Christoph

desainme - Aug 5, 2005 3:15 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I got these to climb Mt. Borah. They worked just fine. Being light, they were no bother in my pack. They adjust and did not collapse. Another advantage of being light is that they were easy to set with wrist and hand motion and did not skid on the rocks. Helpful on the way up, they were great on the way down.

fdoctor - Dec 5, 2005 3:38 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This review is as much in praise of poles generally as this pair in particular. Make sure you buy two!

Strong, light, good shaped grips. The only drawback for me has been a tendency for them to stick making unscrewing very difficult despite regular cleaning and de-gritting.

Still the best I've had

Woodie Hopper - Feb 9, 2007 10:29 pm - Voted 4/5

Good, lightweight poles
My only gripe is my pair seem to come undone every once and awhile and can be a pain to tighten occasionally requiring multiple turns before they decide to "bite". They are strong despite the light weight.

EverydayExplorer - Apr 16, 2007 9:59 am - Hasn't voted

Solid Poles
I picked up my poles from eBay so they weren't that pricey. I haven't had any problems with them collapsing but I have been on mostly dry stuff and I don't know about snow/ice situations. I definately would recommend these if you can get them at a decent price. The strength to weight ratio is great.

Nikman - May 10, 2007 11:33 am - Voted 4/5

4 out of 5
I have a pair of them and used them for some years.
Good weight, great grip, high price, but what I don´t like so much is the handling to adjust. With suncream or sweating fingers it can be a problem to turn them hard enough and then you might have a collapse (poles run into each other) later when the poles are in use.
The quality of material is excellent. I had them in use in all kind of mountaineering and trekking with heavy backpacks. They survived until now.

asaking11 - Nov 13, 2011 5:04 am - Voted 5/5

Good Poles.
This poles work out great for me. They are real lightweight, and collapse down pretty small. They seem really durable as well. I haven't had any problems with them crapping out on me.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10