MC-2 Navigator global compass
"The Suunto MC-2G Navigator Compass features a patented global needle that functions flawlessly anywhere in the world. It includes a large mirror, additional sighting hole, luminous bezel ring, and baseplate with magnifying lens, all to increase accuracy. But the crown jewel of the MC-2G is a patented Global Needle that works anywhere on the globe. This truly unique feature is why the MC-2G is standard issue for Military Special Forces." (from backcountry.com)
The global version that will work anywhere in the world, regardless of the magnetic dip zone. It can also be used on the move, without stopping to level out the compass. Will work at up to 20 degree angles. The needle itself is not magnetized, but is integrated with a small magnetic disc that turns the needle. The sighting notch at the bottom of the mirror aids in taking clinometer readings. The mirror-image clinometer scale makes it easy for a single climber to take readings off the mirror. This feature also makes setting the declination easier.
• Global Needle.
• Liquid filled.
• Mirror image clinometer scale.
• Easy declination adjustment.
• Luminous rotating dial with 2 degree increments.
• Comes with Metric or Standard baseplates.
• Extra sighting notch at bottom of mirror.
• Magnifying glass.
• Metric version has in. and mm, and 1:25k and 1:50k map scales.
• Standard version has 1:24k and 1:62.5k map scales and 3 in. ruler.
• Operates down to -40 degrees Farenheit.
• Self-cleaning capsule bearing.
• Tungsten steel needle.
• 3.75 x 2.5 inch clear plastic base plate.