OR Crocodile Gore-Tex Gaiters

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title OR Crocodile Gore-Tex Gaiters
Manufacturer Outdoor Research
Page By William Marler
Page Type Mar 27, 2002 / Jan 29, 2007
Object ID 189
Hits 11472
Vote
This tough gaiter has a front-opening Velcro closure that allows for minor fit adjustments on a wide variety of boot shapes. The Gore-Tex upper is waterproof-breathable, and the camlock top

closure keeps out snow and mud. Neoprene underarch straps secure the gaiter tightly to the boot.
  • Three-layer Taslan Gore-Tex upper is breathable and waterproof.
  • Wide, 2.5cm webbing closure at the top.
  • Beefy neoprene instep strap is durable and provides a bombproof seal.
  • Small fits mens' North American shoe sizes 5-7, Medium fit sizes 7-9, Larges fits

    sizes 9-11, XL fits sizes 11-15, XXL fits sizes 11-15 but is one inch wider than the XL version.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12

William Marler - Mar 27, 2002 8:29 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This your Basic Gaitor. Easy on and off and resizing for various footware. The liner is fairly tough. The one weak spot are the buckle straps which ware out very fast. I have had mine replaced with leather ones at the shoemaker. Similarly I use draw cord to reinforce when these break down in the bush. Keeps most dust and small rock out of my approach shoes. I open up the buckles to use with my Koflachs. They don’t interfere with my crampons like supergators.

miztflip - Jun 7, 2002 4:45 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
A simple easy to adjust gaitor without any bells and whistles. The lower part of the gaitor is very well made and stands up to the beatings that crampons dish out. I did find the uppers to be a bit soft compared to the rest of the gaitor. I have torn them several times with crampons and have fixed with Duct tape. I have not had problems with the buckle straps as I use the gaitors almost exclusively for snow travel.

geoffcasey - Aug 20, 2002 3:59 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have used my crocs for about 7 years and they still work great. The ability to adjust to a variety of boots is a plus, though I wish the system for holding the gaitor to the front of the boots was more robust than the hook that is on there, in deeper slush and while glissading snow tends to wedge its way up because the hook comes unhooked and the gaitor loses necessary tension. The cordura could come up a little higher on the instep to help protect from sharp crampons (i've made a cordura modification).
Other than those two things I have never had reason to want or need another gaitor.

NYC007 - Feb 23, 2003 8:47 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
very versitle gaiters. I have used them all types a of boots and havent had any problems. A few tears but if you wear crampons its gonna happen. But Overall I have been very happy, no snow in my boots and thats why I bought them..

bbense - Jul 29, 2003 1:39 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
These gaiters work pretty well in the snow, but they are a bit too heavy for general use. You need to be a bit careful to keep snow from freezing on the velcro, this makes them impossible to close. Also if you don't have a convient place on the boot to hook the front so that the gaiter stays taught, they do a very poor job of keeping the snow out.

In general they fit a lot of boots, but I would check the fit against your boots before purchasing. It's very important to get the right size.

As an all purpose gaiter I much prefer REI's new mountain gaiters.

grandwazoo - Nov 9, 2003 8:33 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Love these gaitor's, I've had problems with my BD's fitting over my size 45 Scarpa, Inferno's but these fit well.

fmajor - Dec 9, 2003 9:31 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Gotta love my big Red Croc's!!!

Over nearly 7 years of use from these babies, I have kicked several holes in them, barfed on them and generally abused them, but with a little TLC and some SeamGrip, they keep coming back for more.

Though the heavy velcro is hard to get used to, i now appreciate how well it seals and closes the gaiter. Also, the instep strap is really durable, but i have found that it tends to unravel at the edges and snow freezes there - this is the ONLY less than perfectly functioning aspect of this product. Not a crucial problem, but NOTHING is perfect.

I have postholed and splashed about with these gaiters all around Northern Michigan, several Great Smoky National Park Trails, all through the Red River Gorge, Big South Fork National Forest (both TN and KY sides), up the Airline Trail and even got blown off Mt. Adams (Presidentials) in them. They work every time - plain and simple. The toe hook can be a bit of a pain to put on, but after learning how to hook it, i have been able to use them on Scarpa Inverno's, LaSportiva Nepal Extremes, Trezeta Makalu's, and Garmont Sticky Weekend approach shoes with equal dexterity and effectiveness.

vertx - Jan 23, 2004 4:36 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
What else can be said about these bomb proof gaitors. Abuse them, misuse them, and they will still love you enough to out perform other brands. They are tough and well made. The velcro makes it easy to put on even with with gloves on. They fit all my boots (leather hiking to plastic) and easily adjust.

farkenclimbin - Feb 12, 2004 8:19 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I bought these and used them on Mt Hood. they are fantastic. Make sure that you get the right size. I tried on the Large and the XLarge and prefered the Xlarge (I am 6ft average weight). My climbing partner bought the medium size and they are just too tight for him. I think these Gators are great.

pjc30943 - Apr 9, 2004 7:23 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Very good gaiters. I won't write the details others have already mentioned, but will instead briefly give my pros and cons.



Pros:

-Durable

-Very adjustable to many boot types

-Waterproof in reality--not just on the label.



Cons:

-Expensive ($55 everywhere, $50 at Campmor)

-Heavier than many other gaiters

-My shell pants constantly "ride" out of the gaiters about five inches, making a puffy area above the gaiters, but this is really of no concern.



They really are bombproof, and do a very good job at keeping out snow--if they are velcroed properly (very tight). Occasionally during climbs I found that I had to readjust the footstrap as the gaiters shifted, but this is to be expected, and not a big hassle to adjust once more per day.



Highly recommended.

jtostenr - Aug 3, 2004 12:57 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
What can you say? These are great gaiters that so many people are using.



My favorite features:

-waterproof

-indestructible (although I haven't hit them with my crampons much yet)



My gripes:

-left or right? I always forget. No markings.

-They should improve the closure at the top.

Bignick - May 28, 2005 1:06 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Gaiters are a pretty simple item, but to be the best they must be effective in lower leg protection from snow, underbrush, water, etc., be very light weight, easily fitted, and simply constructed. Excessive hardware and bulk have no place in lower leg protection and this is where the OR Crocs rule. Simple, effective, lightweight, effiicient, and durable. What more do you want?

DudeThatMustHurt - Jul 21, 2005 2:42 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Would not use any other pair of gaitors. These are awsome! well worth the money and take scrapes from your crampons with style. These Gaitors have been up numerous ascents with me and have never let me down, @ first I was sceptical of the band strap but have never had any problems with them what-so-ever. highly reccomended

robojeda - Nov 21, 2005 5:40 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Very happy with my OR Croc's



Have used on several romps about the sierras and am impressed by the fit and quality. The thick band of velcro (approx 2") up the front is superior to the zipper on the others I have owned. I like being able to mess with them without removing my gloves. The cam lock on the top band is also a bonus over other models with a drawstring tie. Solid product at a reasonable price.

Scott - Jan 20, 2007 2:35 am - Voted 1/5

OR should get their act together
OK, the gaiters are fine, but with one flaw. They (all OR gaiters) are all made for small/medium sized climbers. Even the largest size will not fit around my calves, even with light shell pants on. Even after exchanging them for the largest size, they still won't fit. I know there are bigger climbers out there than myself, so it is a mystery why they are not made in bigger sizes. I will only vote 1 star for this reason.

rasgoat - Jan 28, 2007 4:53 am - Voted 5/5

Tough
These are great gaiters, I have a pair of the large size and my boot size is 10. I thought they were a little big for me. Damn Scott you must have some huge friggin calves!

Woodie Hopper - Feb 9, 2007 10:24 pm - Voted 5/5

Good Basic Gaiters
My pair has held up pretty well. The straps have worn a bit but they have actually done pretty well considering the beating they've taken on scree- haven't had to replace them yet. The standard crocs fit me ok, but snugly over my shell pants even though I'm a pretty small guy. I probably should've bought the expedition type.

Dennis Poulin - Feb 22, 2007 6:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Gaitor Glory
When you need gaitors, these work just fine. They come in a couple of sizes. I tore up one pair by being clumsy in crampons. I bought another pair because there just isn't anything that works better. They work great and keeps the snow out of my boots.

Augie Medina - Sep 25, 2007 9:07 pm - Voted 5/5

Several Years of Use
They've never failed at keeping out what they are supposed to keep out and they are very durable having survived some crampon swipes. They are relatively expensive and a little heavier than some other full-length gaiters, but I'll take 'em anyway.

AltitudeSickness - Jan 3, 2008 7:51 pm - Voted 5/5

Tough Gaiters
I bought these after an attempt of Mt. Blanca in Colorado and I found my gaiters severely lacking. Since then these have won the day. I love them. I never get wet. Crampons don't tear up my pants. Easy on easy off with the front velcro closure. the under the boot strap is the only awkward part of these, just set it up at home before you head out.

Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12