Pro Ice

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Pro Ice
Manufacturer Salomon
Page By GuitarWIzard
Page Type Apr 28, 2002 / Apr 28, 2002
Object ID 256
Hits 10233
Vote
Lightweight and crampon-compatible, these versatile mountaineering boots are well suited for hard ice and mixed climbing.

Leather uppers with TPU (thermoplastic urethane) reinforcements provide a lighter, more streamlined alternative to plastic boots
Non-bulky Thinsulate™ insulation adds warmth
Removable tongue reinforcements let you adjust support to meet conditions
Molded polyurethane midsoles offers long-lasting shock absorption
Climbing-tuned composite foot plates provide the right amount of support and flex underfoot
Bi-density rubber Contagrip® outsoles deliver excellent traction
Please note: Salomon products can only be shipped to U.S. addresses. Average weight is per pair based on size 9. Imported.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Richard Purchon - May 31, 2002 9:17 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
this is a top quality B2-B3 technical mountaineering boot, however if you are thinking of getting Salomon Boots it is recomended that you get a half size larger than your usual size this is because they have a tendency to come up small.
i am a size 8, i originaly bought a size 8 pair of Pro Ice but i found that they cut off the curculation to my middle three toes, when i did the boots up properly. i contacted Salomon and they exchanged them for a half size bigger. i have used these boots in the Alps and also on Ben Nevis. the grip is outstanding and the heat moulded insoles are a god send ( heat them up with a hair dryer and then stand on them, so that they form to your feet ) this boot also has a thermal lining keeping you warm whatever the weather. but be warned this boot is very heavily padded and is therfore perfect for people with narrow feet. if you have a wide foot with depth you may find this boot to tight

John - Nov 16, 2002 3:48 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I got these on sale for California alpine ice so I wouldn't have to bring out the plastics. I wasn't crazy about wearing plastics on summer / autumn approaches or carrying them on my back (which I did). I wear the same size in these and the Verticals.

Pros:

  • Very comfortable. The uppers are flexible and these boots don't really require any break-in time. Great for front pointing and also on lower angle alpine ice. The plastic heel "cup" does keep your heel in place. So far used up to WI3+.
  • Relatively lightweight.
  • Rubber has good grip: No problems doing class 2 Sierra granite boulder hopping.
  • Full-length fiberglass shank / full crampon capability: Great for step-in crampons and boulder hopping.
Cons:
  • The rubber seems to crack and fall apart. After only 3 trips, I can see noticable missing large chunks of rubber where the outsole has cracked and pieces have fallen out. The cracks are very clean (no dirt, just missing rubber). This typically happens on the edges. I'm really concerned about this because I get the feeling the outsole will just disintegrate with continued off-snow hiking. To compare, my 5 year-old Alico/EMS boots have Vibram outsoles and they just seem to wear down evenly over time - no pieces falling out.
  • Laces seem to come untied more often. When I'm hiking the laces seem to come loose more than other boots. These can easily replaced so I'm not too concerned here. Just a nuisance.
I loved these boots until I looked at the outsoles after a training hike today. The way it falls apart is just not right. I might call up Salomon to see what they have to say about this. They worked great at Lee Vining for waterfall ice with a snow approach but for California alpine ice where there are summer and autumn rock / boulder-hopping approaches, I'd want a longer lasting outsole.

Norman - Aug 9, 2003 7:30 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought a pair of Pro Ice this spring after complaing to Salomon about the Super Mountain 9 boot that leaks like tennis shoes. I have used the Pro Ice on Mt Baker and Rainier this year. Both descents were in very wet snow with absolutely no leaking into the boot. I agree with the other review, there was no break in period needed, very comfortable boot, good lacing system that allows some separation of toe/ankle tightness. This boot works well with the step in crampons. The boot also seems to have just the right amount of insulation . I have no complaints.

Bushed - Dec 8, 2003 5:51 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've recently purchased a pair of these.I will agree that the size runs on the small size and would recommend that you purchace them a half size bigger then what you regularly wear.These are made in China .Where the Super Mountain Guide 9s are made in Italy and seem to run a true size.I've taken out the plastic tongue stiffner,it seems to push the tongue into your lower shins. They have kept my feet toasty.No leaks.I haven't had any eyelets break off yet,cross my fingers.For the walk in I keep the boots loose and when I get to the climb I tighten them up and they perform exceptionally well.I would recommend them to any to anyone looking for a good ice boot.I've used them with the Black Diamond Sabertooth Clip Crampon on vertical ice and did not experience any perfomance issues. Very stable and solid.

prymasze - Mar 7, 2005 5:54 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I gought this boots for summer climbs in Alps ... I have before Scarpa Cerro Torre XT but it was too warm for me (I'm never cold, only if I'm getting sick ... ) ... They are much lighter and so comfortable, that you think is a trecking boot ... They are still very warm and they climb in ice very well ... I don't use this special staff for tongue, I prefer comfort ;)

I went with them this year to Chile and Bolivia for Lincancabur, Sincancabur and Ojos Del Salado Direct route ... It was very wet, snowy year and they performed very well ... never get frozen in them and it was about -20 plus about 80-90km/h wind on Ojos ... I didn't use any gaitors ... one pair very good quality, fresh socks and fast moving :) ... I will recomend them to all people who likes to climb in light, fast form and fell warm and comfort all the time ...

alpinedan - Dec 20, 2005 2:25 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
very weird. I just got a pair and they fit like just perfect. BUT every one says to size them bigger as they run small and I got them a full smaller. Very weird. I wear a size 9(42) sportiva ) and I got these in a size 8(41 1/3) and they fit great. no heal slipping and just perfect on the toes. I think it has a narrow heal section and wide toe box. As I can wear size 8 Wide in many boots or a normal size 9 in reg boots. Very comfortable But I would recommend trying them on first or buying different sizes and returning the ones that don't fit. I also tried on a pair of salomon lite ice boots in size 8 and my toes were cramped as I think they fit true to size and have a narrow toe box. I will be climbing ice in these in the next few weeks and will give a much better review.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6