Pro Rock

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Pro Rock
Manufacturer Salomon
Page By GuitarWIzard
Page Type Apr 28, 2002 / Apr 28, 2002
Object ID 258
Hits 4489
Vote
An ideal boot for all around alpine climbing. Like the Pro Ice, the Pro Rock offers excellent precision, but where the Pro Ice lives for mixed climbing, the Pro Rock is an alpine animal, at home on approaches, rock, snow and ice. It’s compatible with "semi" automatic crampons for the wet work, and its low profile sole and wraparound toe rand gives great rock feel. Supportive, foot hugging chassis design ensures the perfect balance of walking comfort and climbing stiffness, and it comes in both regular and narrow versions for optimal fit choices.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Bushed - Nov 14, 2003 5:59 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
These boots come on the small side.I would recommend that you buy them a half size larger.They have lots of padding.I find Salomon boots that are made in China fit on the small side verus their boots that are made in Italy and are a slight more roomier and fit like a true size. They are a good boot if you use them for alpine climbing With alittle snow.Stay away from long ice routes for your toes will ache.

alpinedan - Nov 15, 2005 11:29 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
wow fit my foot perfect. great boot for the price I paid (around $50 on a closeout) comfy and not to bad for a boot made in china. for the price you can't top it

sibu1901 - Jan 3, 2006 11:04 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
i aspire to be able to climb low fifth class mountaineering routes. since i live in the tropical island of singapore, so i don't have much chance of doing weekend climbs on alpine routes. i bought them with the intention to wear them on the local crag so as to get myself used to climbing in stiff and clumsy mountaneering boots. (think jaimacan bobsleigh team who trained on the grass for the winter olympic and you get the picture) at the same time they won't let my feet cooked as would my other heavy insulated boots meant for high alpine use.

i already owned a pair of pro-ice and another pair of pro-thermic. wearing my pro-thermic in the searing heat at the local crag climbing is definitely out of the question. pro-ice doesn't fare much better under the scotching hot sun. so that left me with only this pair of boots as my "training shoes". as to whether they are able to handle fifth class climbing, i tested them on the gym wall. (yes, i bought them from the bouldering gym, on the cheap, SGD129. that's about USD70). the soles are stiff enough for me to stand on the tiniest footholds that i could find, comfortably.

however, i doubt that if they can handle more tricky (at least to my standard) move like heel hook. hopefully i won't have to call upon more advance techniques while doing low fifth class routes with these up on the mountain. (i reckon things could get worse with my huge and clumsy pro-thermic)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3