Seattle Sombrerro

 

Seattle Sombrerro
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Seattle Sombrerro
Manufacturer Outdoor Research
Page By iclimb4pain
Page Type Jun 23, 2002 / Jan 17, 2007
Object ID 396
Hits 5082
Vote
Designed as a rain hat, it also provides protection from the sun's harmful UV rays.

  • A waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex®/Taslan nylon crown and moisture-moving WickLine® lining work together to keep your head dry and comfortable

  • Brim can be turned up and secured with Velcro® tab on one or on both sides if dry conditions warrant it

    Chin strap prevents fly-away on windy days

  • The internal cinch-band size adjustment system allows for customized fit.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

PeterOrth - Nov 13, 2002 2:44 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Totally waterproof, which is what it's designed for. However, with a little bit of movement, you heat up pretty fast. I found myself wanting to take it off during a rainstorm because my head was getting hot. Still, you can't have it all. I've actually worn it as a cold weather hat, since the inside is fleece-like. Other than the fact that it's so damn trendy, I really like it.

43moon - May 25, 2003 6:19 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is a great hat. It does an impressive job in the rain. It keeps the rain out of my face and allows me to wear my glasses in the rain (as long as the wind doesn't blow the rain into my face).



I also use this as my cold weather hat. I am able to wear it under my hood. The exposed brim keeps the sun off of my face, and the remainder fits comfortably under my hood.



Mine is black, so it gets hot during warm weather usage in the sun.

Gareth - Jan 7, 2004 1:52 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This is a great hat to keep your head dry in the rain. It is completely waterproof. As to its breathability... I am tempted to laugh. My only complaints are that it steams up inside and can get downright hot when the sun is shining on it, and that the brim is not very rigid. When the wind hits it it has a tendency to flap up and down a bit (when it flaps up, it tends to Velcro itself in the up position.

Bignick - May 28, 2005 1:18 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
A great hat for all seasons. Works well in heavy snow or rain to deflect and channel away from face and neck areas. It can be shaped to keep trhe sun away from your face as well. The lining works well for wicking perspiration off your head keping you cool and the strap can be pulled down under your chin on a windy day. Velcro on the headband makes it adjustable so it can be worn over another thin cap with earwarmers or adjusted as you see fit.

Aaron Johnson - Jan 20, 2007 5:19 am - Hasn't voted

Fantastic Hat
I live and will probably die by this hat. I treasure it and wear it everywhere I go in the mountains or the desert. You can see me everywhere on SP wearing this hat. I have no complaints. The heating-up can be remedied by adjusting or wearing the hat loosely, and angling it toward the sun as you walk, much like an umbrella. It's light, easy to store and sheds water like nobody's business. This hat has served me exceedingly well in all types of weather, including torrential downpours. Easy to clean and maintain and the brim is not rigid, allowing you to shape it to suit your needs at any given time. It's also great for keeping the sun off. I hate sunscreen and rarely aply it because this hat does such a good job. You can't go wrong buying one. I just wish I could find another as a backup!

delmarco - Feb 23, 2008 9:33 pm - Voted 5/5

GoreTex + OR = Perfection!

PROS: Great wet weather hat. Completely water proof. I've been in love with these hats since 1994 when my wilderness instructor for our HS class wore hers on a trip. I'm sure to this day her's still looks brand new cause these things are for life.

CONS: Not sure why there is a winterized fleece lining mine since it rains more in hotter climates. The velcro adjust ribbon on the inside can sometimes irritate the back of my head. I think mine shrunk in the dryer (but that was my fault).
There should be more color options.


Photobucket

CrazySanMan - Jul 29, 2008 11:32 am - Voted 4/5

It's Hot
I've only used this hat in the summer. It did a great job keeping me dry in a thunderstorm on the 4th of July in Shenandoah National Park. But it isn't as breathable as is claimed. My head sweats like crazy in it. Folding up the brim on the sides helps to cool things down a little bit. Having said that, it keeps out the rain, the sun, and the ticks and the lining keeps sweat from running in your eyes. I'm sure I'll enjoy the extra heat in the winter.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7