SporTrak Map

 

SporTrak Map
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title SporTrak Map
Manufacturer Magellan
Page By Haliku
Page Type Jan 11, 2005 / Mar 6, 2008
Object ID 1228
Hits 21478
Vote
The ruggedly handsome, compact, lightweight, ergonomic and waterproof, the Magellan® SporTrak® Map GPS receiver offers an excellent value for the outdoor enthusiast. Accurate to within 3 meters, the SporTrak Map features a 2 MB North American mapping database, 6 MB’s free memory for downloading street-level maps and seven large graphic navigation displays to view all the information you need to add a new level of enjoyment to your adventure.



The SporTrak Map GPS receiver is an indispensable navigation companion when hiking, biking, boating, hunting, fishing or on any outdoor adventure. It is waterproof and it floats.



The SporTrak Map gives you all the great advantages of GPS in a full set of features.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Haliku - Feb 5, 2005 11:11 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This GPS worked well while I was climbing in Mexico. It only took a few minutes to link up and give me my location. Normally I was linked to 4-7 different satellites.

I used the lithium Energizer batteries and found the life span increased compared to normal batteries. While it wasn't too cold on our climb I did keep the unit in my chest pocket to keep it warm.

Navigating between the screens and setting waypoints was easy. I can see there might be a problem if you are using it with thick gloves as the buttons are small and close together.

I liked the sun/moon guide which is built into the unit. I was able to figure out how much moon time we'd have on our alpine start. It’s a nice extra.

I have no complaints about this GPS. It worked like it should and didn't take a PhD degree to figure it out.

EricK - Feb 12, 2005 6:59 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought this GPS a few years ago and have taken on all sorts of excursions--it has gone with me in airplanes, skydiving, cars, snowmobiling adventures, hiking, and best of all---backpacking.



Probably my favourite thing about this GPS is its durability. It has been dropped on solid rock on many occassions, and it has taken a few tumbles while rolling down a couple mountains. It always continues to work 100%.



When the sky is open and unobstructed, this GPS has incredible accuracy. However the antenna doesn't seem to be too strong becuase even the slightest obstruction will GREATLY reduce the reception, and therefore the accuracy. It has a hard time tracking in the bush. Until you get above the tree line, it can be difficult to get an accurate position or elevation reading.



The only reason i take this GPS up mountains is to watch the elevation gain. It isn't very accurate a lot of the time. Sometimes while i am standing still, the elevation will just continually increase or decrease---sometimes over 100 meters. Other times, it seems to be good fairly good. Its accuracy seems to be very random. It all has to do with the quality of the reception, and as i said earlier, you need a wide open sky to have really good reception for this GPS.



So the poor antenna is the reason i give this GPS a 4 and not a 5. Everything else is absolutely awesome.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2