Supercell Jacket

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Supercell Jacket
Manufacturer Patagonia
Page By William Marler
Page Type May 21, 2004 / May 21, 2004
Object ID 1076
Hits 7993
Vote
Peru's Inca Trail is unforgettable, and the weather's usually good -- usually. Thunderboomers can happen, and when they do, the lightweight but fully waterproof/breathable Supercell is like gold. The jacket's roll-down Optipull hood fits over a variety of ski/alpine helmets, and new perforated hook-and-loop closures are lighter, softer and more compressible. Elbow-to-waist pit zips on the handwarmer pockets vent the torso.



Fabric: 2.7-oz., 2.5-layer, 50-denier ripstop nylon with a waterproof H2No® HB (Highly Breathable) barrier; Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish. All seams are sealed.



Breathable, lightweight and waterproof, it packs down well and can serve as your bad weather back-up.

Use it for:



  • Hiking

  • Trail Running

  • Mountain Biking

  • Cycling

  • Travel



    Interior surface texture channels moisture away from skin, protects the waterproof barrier from abrasion and slides easily over layers



    Roll-down Optipull hood; Extended, mesh-lined pit-zip/handwarmer pocket system ventilates the torso New, perforated hook-and-loop closures on storm flap are lighter, softer and more compressible Adjustable bottom-hem drawcord Mid-length minimalist design
  • Reviews


    Viewing: 1-2 of 2

    Paul Burkholder - Sep 17, 2004 6:38 pm - Voted 4/5

    Untitled Review
    Over the last 18 months, the Supercell has become my favorite "hard" shell jacket. I wear it for easy walks in the rain, backcountry skiing, and fast alpine climbing. Due to its light weight and size, it is the jacket that gets stuffed in my pack year 'round.



    Even after some hard use, it is still very water proof. The material does not seem to be very breathable, but there are very large and easy to use pit zips that help manage sweat.



    This is a much better jacket in every way than a more expensive, lightweight 3-layer Goretex jacket by Marmot that I have owned for several years (I usually like Marmot products).



    The best thing about this jacket is since late 2003, it has often been on sale for around $125.

    delmarco - Feb 23, 2008 7:36 pm - Voted 1/5

    Almost died because of poor design!
    I got the 2004/2005 version that was called the Supercell then later Patagonia added waterproof zippers and changed the name to the Rain Shadow in 2006. Then the pit zips was shorthened in 2007 and the name was changed to the JetStream. But anything you call it, its the same damn jacket!

    POSITIVES:
    Cheap for what you get. Nylon shell material is fairly waterproof and breathable and has the best DWR treatment on any Patagonia Jacket EVER. Hood adjusts easily three ways. Pit zips come all the way down on the sides. Large mesh pockets. Light at 14 ozs. Even though Patagonia sold these for $200 a few years ago, you could buy one on eBay right this minute for about $20 or less. Which, at $20, is still about 4 times more than what this Jacket actually cost Patagonia to manufacture.

    NEGATIVES: Design is NOT Waterproof. Water and Cold air leaks in around the neck/collar area. Main zips stops at base of neck and leave chin, neck and face exposed. Not a durable jacket (rips easily on thorns and even zipper snags), Zipper snags are way way way too frequent,
    Hood could be much bigger. Storm flaps tend to soak up dirt and water.
    Most importantly the design is NOT waterproof. Water will get in and trickle down you neck and chest area in a downpour.

    I DO NOT Recommend this Jacket for anything other than a quick 5 minute run to get groceries...on a sunny day. Anything more extreme than that and, well don't say I didn't warn you.


    Photobucket

    Viewing: 1-2 of 2