Therm-a-Rest Standard

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Therm-a-Rest Standard
Manufacturer Cascade Designs
Page By William Marler
Page Type Jul 8, 2002 / Jul 8, 2002
Object ID 405
Hits 21636
Vote
Standard™

The Long-time “standard” mattress for backpackers throughout the world, this is the original Therm-a-Rest. Over the years it has been improved inside and out with thicker foam and non-slip Staytek™ fabric. Available in full-length and 3/4 sizes.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-9 of 9

William Marler - Jul 8, 2002 7:13 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have used one of these for many years. Lightweight and fairly comfortable. I remove the staves from my Camptrails pack and fold the pad in three, put it up into my pack against my back. Gives the back comfort and gives the pack some structure without the extra weight. I also have an LE which as I get older I use more often to ease the aching joints. Been lucky enough not to have to patch in the field. I have now passed mine down to the kids... we will see how long they last.

geoffcasey - Aug 30, 2002 8:56 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I got mine when thermarest had two models, 3/4th and regular. The long version has served me well many a year. I have hadno prolems with it deflating and I haven't gotten any holes in it. It has helped keep me warm, as it seem to insulate well. It's weight is the only drawback. The long can be annoying if you are packing people in a tent. A great car camping at the local crag version. I would recomend one from the performance line if you are looking to save weight.

bigwally - Feb 26, 2003 9:08 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is the Best "Bang for the Buck" in the Thermarest Line. Excellent insulation, lightweight(mostly),good cushioning,and very compressible when deflated. Mine has been resistant to rips and tears for nearly a decade. With the LE series, now, being nearly twice the price...and the Ultra-Lite series "priced-more-to-get-less", the STANDARD is Truly the most cost-weight-comfort efficient member of the Thermarest line !!!!!!!

Bryan W - Nov 7, 2004 10:29 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Purchased the long version and have been very happy. It is a little bulky, but I strap it to the outside of my pack and have little problems unless I get off route below treeline. Wish I would have purchased this sooner. Now I don't feel the rock, tree root, or lump in the ground all night. If you have a foam pad, I suggest that you pitch it and buy yourself a therm-a-rest.

miztflip - Nov 27, 2004 11:26 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Pricey and not very durable in rough mountain conditions. I always seem to get slow leaks that only make themselves apparent in the middle of the night.



Doesn't hold up well when used as a seat mat outside on rocks and twigs. Canvas cover gets wet and doesn't dry well.

rioblanco13 - Dec 16, 2005 12:40 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great all around pad. I have not done any "rough" camping trips so I don't know if it would hold up, but it has been durable and great for me.

Grampahawk - May 2, 2007 5:57 pm - Voted 5/5

Durable
I had the 3/4 version that also had less loft when inflated. It packed well. I never had a leak and was Ok but as I got older I opted for the extra loft to get more comfort so bought the full length version that is thicker. I usually carry it outside the pack. I've had it for 10 years. Never a leak. I've used it on rough ground. Very comfortable and worth the extra bulk and weight.

Alpinist - Jul 22, 2007 10:41 pm - Voted 5/5

The original gold standard
I've used my Therm-a-Rest on every climbing/camping trip since I bought it 15 years ago. I've camped on ice, snow, rock, dirt and grass, and at high altitude, and I've always been comfortable sleeping on it. Although I've taken impecable care of it, it still looks like new and has never failed me. I've not even had a single hole in it. The original Therm-a-Rest was the ideal trade-off between comfort and weight for most alpine trips. However, the newer models are lighter than this dinosaur. This was a great investment though.

stepho - Jan 12, 2008 6:48 pm - Voted 5/5

Comforatable
Comfortable for no approach camping. If there was an approach or i was backpacking i would carry something lighter.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9