Tornado

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Tornado
Manufacturer HB
Page By HeMa
Page Type Jan 5, 2004 / Jan 5, 2004
Object ID 955
Hits 5828
Vote
Do you climb it all? Waterfall, ice, scrappy mixed ground, technical alpine routes? Want a single tool that can do it all? Look no further than the HB Tornado. The T rated aluminum shaft offers excellent clearance and easy plunging. Tornados comes with the same high performance 3mm pick as the Black Lightening. The highly textured lower shaft provides a secure grip, without inhibiting plunging. Optional head weights available.



The never version (red shaft) has a small pinky-rest at the bottom of the handle.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

HeMa - Jan 5, 2004 4:43 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have the older version without the pinky-rests but in all other way the tool is the same.



The double bent shatf means that the tool is great for hooking over bulges and stuff, but when climbing something not that steep one usually hits his/her hands at the ice (could be also due to my lack of technique). Also the swing in these tools is a bit like the one on CM Quarks, as you need to wristflick at the end of the swing to get a good placement.



While moutaineering the shaft blunges easily in snow and both the adze and hammer are great for torquing at the odd crack and stuff.



With a little modifications at the handle this tool rocks on both ice and mixed.



The only cons with these tools are the handle (better at the never model) and the picks do seem to wear out a bit quicker than my friends DMM Predators.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1