Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Aug 18, 2013 11:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Love it!

Well done...I will be reading this one. Nice photos as well!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 19, 2013 1:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Love it!

Thanks, Matt!

awilsondc

awilsondc - Aug 19, 2013 9:19 am - Voted 10/10

Stunning!

Really beautiful report! Amazing photography! I havnen't been able to read the whole thing yet, but it looks like you had a great time... minus the wildfires... :)

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 19, 2013 12:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Stunning!

Thanks. Yeah, even though the wildfires prevented us from doing a couple additional hikes we'd planned, we at least got to do Thompson Peak, which was awesome. It sounds like the fires up there are even worse now (nearby Beaver Creek Fire has burned over 100,000 acres), so we were fortunate to go when we did.

phatty

phatty - Aug 19, 2013 2:04 pm - Hasn't voted

redfish

you have to go back and do redfish. I got my first taste of Sawtooths when a couple of girls I knew that worked at the redfish lodge took me up there one summer in college. Needless to say I was "hooked" and have been back many times. Hope to take my wife and kid this fall for their first time! Great report!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 20, 2013 11:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: redfish

Yeah, everyone who's been there says it's an awesome place, so when we go back it will definitely be at the top of our list. Seems to be a great place to take families while avoiding the crowds you'd typically see in a national park.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Eye candy

I think I have a cavity from all the eye-candy and I need to get it filled (with experience). I like to see families getting out like this it brings memories.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 20, 2013 11:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Eye candy

The Sawtooths are awesome because in almost any direction you look are jagged peaks and pristine lakes. Since our Idaho trip, one of our daughter's favorite words is now "hike", which she says whenever she sees an outdoor/mountain picture.

andrew david

andrew david - Aug 20, 2013 1:49 am - Voted 10/10

Great Report

You frame your photos very well. There are some inspired ones here. I definitely want to do Thompson when I next get out to the Sawtooths. I drive up from SLC once each of the past few years and get a few peaks. They are always harder than you'd think from the low elevations, and looking at the maps. But great approach trails and great views. The Sawtooths are overlooked, but are one of my favorite places. A secret even among the initiated...

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 20, 2013 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report

Thanks. I figure I take so many pictures on these hikes that some of them are bound to turn out okay. Doing one peak in an area like this definitely makes you want to come back and do more. It's surprising that the Sawtooths don't get much run compared to other areas. I think the scenery is comparable to the Sierra & Tetons but with less crowds, and like you said, there are plenty of challenging peaks. I'm really glad we finally got around to seeing them.

andrew david

andrew david - Aug 25, 2013 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Report

Great thing about SLC is within 6 hours in every direction there are awesome destinations and the Sawtooths is one of them I can go to. If you ever have a 3 day weekend and nothing to do, try Hell Roaring Lake Trail and then follow the climber's trail into the basin below "Finger of Fate". Spring is probably ideal as much of the talus is buried and there are a handful of peaks up there with crampon runs I've wanted to try. Plenty of options and inspiring scenery. And in the heart of the range, the Baron Lakes area with Monte Verita is my favorite place on this earth!

asmrz

asmrz - Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for telling people about the Sawtooths

Just want to add my thanks for your TR. It brought back memories of two trips there in 1973 and 1975. My wife and I spent a month there each time climbing and hiking in the Sawtooths and neighboring White Clouds. We thoroughly enjoyed the (then) solitude of these mountains. I think Sawtooths are one of the best western US ranges because they are sharp, have mostly good rock and the lakes are wonderful. Bringing your kids into this wonderful alpine area now can only mean that they too will visit, years later. Cheers and good climbing, Alois.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 20, 2013 4:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for telling people about the Sawtooths

I'm of the opinion that for the most part it's good to keep people informed for the purpose of preservation, and feel it's only right to let others know about one of my new favorite places so that they can enjoy it as well. Thanks for the nice comments.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Aug 21, 2013 4:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Gold Star!

I'm from Preston and am in Napoleon Dynamite as an extra. Been to Bancroft quite a few times too! Central Idaho is my favorite place on earth though! Idaho has it all!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 22, 2013 11:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Gold Star!

That show is a cult classic (I especially liked the last dance scene and deleted kickball scene), so that's pretty cool you were in it.
Central Idaho is an amazing place. Driving from Mackay up to Stanley and back down through Ketchum, there were so many mountains there just as impressive as the ones in other Rocky Mountain states, that I see how someone could spend their entire life climbing there and never get bored.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Sep 3, 2013 1:12 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Gold Star!

It's funny that you should mention the dance scene. That's the one I'm in. I'm just and extra in the crowd but I'm very front and center wearing a bright yellow shirt.

My Idaho list is endless as there is so much to do there. I hope to move back as soon as I'm done with school.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Overlooked Idaho - South Couloir' main page