Owl Creek Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.83630°N / 114.7113°W
Additional Information Route Type: Bushwhack
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


For access to the Owl Creek Approach, drive roughly 20 miles north of Ketchum, Idaho on Highway 75. Look for a small pullout on the western side of the highway as it round the bend at the mouth of Owl Creek.

From the pullout a small dirt road leads west toward the canyon. The road then fords the Big Wood River, which is impossible until late-summer, and even then is quite difficult. After the river crossing, the road climbs onto a high meadow into the forest next to Owl Creek. The road is in suprisingly good shape for the first 1.5 miles.

At 1.5 miles, a large tree has fallen and blocked the road. Follow the faint path that cars have made around the south side of the fallen tree and return to the Owl Creek Road. The road continues to be relatively smooth with an exception here and there of stream crossings and rock outcroppings.

Just before the road ends at about 7,900', the road is burmed up and is no longer passable by vehicles.

A four-wheel drive, high clearence vehicle is needed for this approach.

Route Description


From the spot where Owl Creek Road is impassable, continue by foot the short distance that the road remains intact. At about 8,000', the Right Fork of Owl Creek enters from the northwest. Follow along this stream remaining on the north side for best conditions.

When the stream crosses the 9,200' contour line on the USGS topo map, leave the stream bottom and continue traveling cross-country northward aiming for the saddle between Titus and Bromaghin Peaks.

Scramble up some loose talus about 200' to the saddle and turn northeast on the crest of the Smoky Mountains and head toward Titus Peak. The last few hundred feet of the climb is on a ridge covered with sub-alpine fir trees occasionally blocking the route. The last portion of the hike is class I.

Essential Gear


No climbing equipment is required beyond the normal outdoors beta. A topographic map of the area is useful as the upper bassin of Owl Creek may be confusing to some.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.