Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.97080°N / 7.60410°E
Additional Information Elevation: 13684 ft / 4171 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Dent d'Hérens is a neighbour of the Matterhorn on the border ridge between Italy and Switzerland.

Added by sokolxxx, July 31, 2005 12:36 PM :
Dent d'Hérens is one of the wilderness and most interesting 4000m Alpine Peaks. In the unusual Valpelline Valley is one of the most impressive 6th hours tour close to the bottom of the mountain.

it is less often climbed because it's summit is less spectacular and less known. The normal route to the summit is on Italian side. One of the interrest for going to Dent d'Hérens is the view on Matterhorn.


From Switzerland, the north face of the mountain is an huge ice face. From Schönbiel hut you've got a fantastic view on this nord face, first climbed by Willo Welzenbach.

The normal route go's through the southwest face and the west ridge to the summit.
difficulty : PD : long glaciertour, rockclimbing till II grad. The westridge is "aerial".

5-6 hours from cabane to the summit (1400 Hm )

Getting There


When you will become to the Place Moulin where the route is starting, you will see your target - Dent d'Herens - from Parking.

The usual starting point for the normal route is Place Moulin in Valpelline valley (Val d'Aoste region, Italy). It can be the Schönbielhütte (4-5 hours from Zermatt ) joining the Italian border by Col de Valpelline.

Red Tape


no red tape

When To Climb


summer but very early in the morning to have good conditions

Camping and Huts


Added by sokolxxx Date: July 31, 2005 1:04 PM :
The nearest camping is in Bionaz but I prefer drive to Lake di Place Moulin where you can pitch the tent on helicopter landing-ground (but early morning your tent can be strong windy tested by helicopter) or try to go on to Prarayer (2005m). There is beautifull and expensive refuge and thousands hectare of mountains meadows.

Camping in Randa / Täsh / Zermatt on the Swiss side.

Here are links to the Dent d'Hérens huts:

Schönbielhütte SAC Section Website

Schönbielhütte Wallis Hut Page

Rifugio Aosta

routes overview


normal route (Aosta hut - SO face - O ridge): PD+

O ridge: AD-

NO face : AD

E ridge: D

N face : TD+


1st ascents


O ridge: 07/18/1873: A.Gilles Puler, J.J Pierr, E.Maquignaz, L.Carrel

E ridge: 07/30/1906: E.Ryan, J. Lochmatter, F. Lochmatter

N face : 08/10/1925: W. Welzenbach, E.Allwein

Dent d'Hérens glaciers



External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
sokolxxx

sokolxxx - Jul 31, 2005 12:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Dent d'Herens is one of the wilderness and most interesting 4000m Alpine Peaks. Unusual Valpelline Valley opened one of most impressive 6th hours tour through the bottom of this where the civilization expires revealing the wildworld. When you will become to the Place Mulin where the way is starting, you will see your target - Dent d'Herens - from Parking.

sokolxxx

sokolxxx - Jul 31, 2005 1:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The nearest camping in Bionaz but I prefer drive to Lake di Place Moulin where you can pitch the tent on helicopter landing-ground (but early morning your tent can be strong windy tested by helicopter) or try to go on to Prarayer (2005m). There is beautifull and expensive refuge and thousands hectare of mountains meadows.

Mauntainfreak - Jan 7, 2016 10:23 am - Hasn't voted

Foto

This photo of Dent d'Herens was taken from a plane (click it to enlarge): Click to enlarge

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pennine AlpsMountains & Rocks
 
Alpine 4000m PeaksMountains & Rocks