Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.10080°N / 114.9207°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10936 ft / 3333 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ward Mountain is a prominent mountain located just south of Ely. It is the highpoint of the Egan Range. By Nevada standards, this mountain is practically in an urban setting. The town of Ely is nearby, there is a Forest Service campground at the northern base of the range, and a fairly good road goes all the way to the summit. Ward Mountain actually has two highpoints. The south highpoint with the road to it is the true summit, but there is also a prominent north highpoint that is slightly lower. The northern portion of Ward Mountain is located in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. The north highpoint is designated as “Ward” on the Forest Service map. The south highpoint, or true summit, isn’t even mentioned on the map, but is designated by “Ward Small Cairn 2” on the topo map. The southern boundary of the national forest crosses directly over the south summit. The road that leads to the summit is not in the national forest. The Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historical Park is located on the eastern slopes of the mountain.

Getting There

From Ely, drive seven miles south on US Highway 50/6/93 to Cave Valley Road. Turn right onto this well-graded dirt road, and drive several miles to this intersection, which is marked by a “Ward Historic Mining District” sign. Turn right, and drive on this good road to this unmarked intersection. The main road continues west a short distance, then dead-ends near some abandoned buildings. Turn right at the intersection, and follow the main road as it winds its way up the southeast slopes of Ward Mountain. This appears to be mainly an ATV route. You should take a topo map with you so you can follow all the twists and turns of the road, but you basically stay on what appears to be the main road. The road is in fairly good condition, but a high-clearance vehicle is still necessary. We parked at this saddle and walked the rest of the way up on the road, but 4WD vehicles can probably make it all the way to the top.

Red Tape

The road to Ward Mountain appears to be open to the public. There are no locked gates or no trespassing signs anywhere along the route.

Camping

Camping is available at the nearby Ward Mountain Forest Service Campground, and the Ward Charcoal Ovens State Park.

External Links

Ward Mountain Campground

Ward Charcoal Ovens

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jul 11, 2007 6:51 am - Voted 10/10

oops

clicked on "this saddle" in description, got: "We cannot process your request. An error occurred processing the page you requested. If you got this error by following (clicking on) a link from outside the TopoZone site, please notify the Webmaster on the referring site that there is an error in that link. If this error occurred while using TopoZone, we have logged the error and will investigate it. Errors can occur if your browser or network caches older versions of pages on our site, so refreshing this page may correct the problem. If you report this error to a..."

streeyyr

streeyyr - Jul 11, 2007 10:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: oops

It works for me, so I'm not sure what your problem is. However, I did have some problems yesterday bringing up the topo map on this page, so there may have been a problem with topozone.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jul 11, 2007 1:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: oops

Works now. the server was probably down for a few hours.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3