Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.30914°N / 73.02784°W
Additional Information County: Rutland
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3770 ft / 1149 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SW Summit Dorset

Dorset Mountain is part of the Taconic Range, located in Danby, Vermont. The peak is also noted as #99 in the New England tallest 100 peak list. It's distinguished as being a trailess peak however the bulk of the journey can be made on logging roads, ski mobile roads or well defined trails.

It was believed that the South Peak was actually the tallest feature on Dorset Mountain and old signs still refer to this as Dorset Peak though the actual peak is .5 miles to the North East.

There are several routes to the top and the mountain itself is strewn with logging roads. It should also be noted that mountain is partially hollow because it is a source of some fine Vermont Marble as well as many natural voids and bat caves. The easiest approach to the top is from the South West via the Tower Road Trail Head (N43.28478 W73.04751). Other approaches are more difficult but have some interesting attractions such as a natural bridge when starting from Emerald Lake State Park on the North East side of the Mountain or Route 7 to the east.

 

South Summit



Getting There

Dorset can be reached from either Route 7 in Danby or Route 30 in the town of Dorset, VT. The Tower Road Trail Head is accessed via Route 30 by turning (left from the North or Right from the South) onto Dorset Hollow Road and following the split (Left) to Upper Dorset Hollow Road (or Lower the meet up at the end) and continuing until the road changes name to Tower Road. Upper/Lower/Tower are all unpaved. Parking is located beyond the last house (see waypoint above) on the road to the right but can be found further along if you're in a high clearence 4WD vehicle.

Red Tape

Tower Road construction seems to be working it's way up the Mountain so road improvements and new houses may push the starting Tower Road Trail Head further up the road over time. Please post any changes to the parking area or any access restrictions.
 

Dorset Tree Knobs

Camping/Lodging

There are a few options based on taste and relative location:

Merck Forest and Farmland Center, Emerald Lake State Park, Rupert Mountain Road, Rupert VT

Dorset RV Park on Route 30 Dorset

Otter Creek Campground on Route 7 Danby

Marble West Inn Bed & Breakfast, Dorset, Vermont

 Directions @ Summit Trail Intersection

External Links

Some links that I found useful:

Dorset Hike Posting

Vermont Day Hike Review

Caving on Dorset

RPI Caving Guide to Dorset
 

pitchers at the peak


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.