Passo Falzarego

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.50336°N / 12.02514°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Passo Giau and Civettacol East
The route from Falzarego (2,117m) is a racket using the paths #441 and #422. I write the route according with the normal orientation taking the first signal to summit descending across the other part of the ellipse but I saw a few of mountaineer walking from the other side. It's difficult to choose that's better for climb because the two routes have the same difficulty. Both have some sections of easy scramble (a little exposed).

Time: around 1h+1h

Getting There

See the main page.

Route Description

Signal to Croda NegraSignal
Path #422 East sidePath
Descending from summitScramble
Path #422 East sidecol East
In the parking you take the path #441 signalling Nuvolau and Averau's refuges. The good path has a nice approach to North face of our round peak viewing the sharp Averau in left side. Near of the big wall NW of Crda Negra you see the signal to right indicating #422 Croda Negra. It's the momento to leave the other path turning to walk in direction to the west face of our peak. The path is a little confuse among the stones and the scree but it goes to some small terraces using the hands to reach the wide upper part. It's very easy now to walk the big shoulder of the mountain following the cairns (the paint is not visible in some places) to reach the summit. You must be careful with fog because the right side has a cut in the ridge.

For the descent you see near of the summit the confluence of marks of paint and you follow to right side (left if you come to the summit) descending across a path with some of scree reaching a exposed small terrace. You walk over a plain rock (dangerous with rain) turning to a exposed path in the hillside. In a point you must use the hands to descent across a easy chimney but the rest is a nice walk to reach a col at East of the peak. From the col you can see a nice view of Civetta and the road of Passo Giau. You turn to left descending to the small valley between Croda Negra and Averau reaching the crosspath with the signals to right side of continuation to refuges Averau and Nuvolau. For the return the path is evident with good signals of paint crossing the signal of first deviation to summit and reaching finally the Passo Falzarego.

Essential Gear

Nothing special in summer.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.