Peak 11500' Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
mrolph

mrolph - Sep 16, 2003 9:45 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

A nice area! I'm thinking about heading to Ireland Lake this weekend to climb one or all of Parsons, Simmons, and Amelia Earhart. Great photos. Martin

mpbro

mpbro - Sep 16, 2003 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hey Martin,



Glad to hear you'll be getting up there. Seems like that area has the same appeal for both of us. Parsons absolutely transfixed me. I always wanted to climb it from the north ridge. For one, it seems like the only way across that range. It looked viable on a topo, but in person, WOW, was it ever imposing. None of the photos I've posted here illustrate that fact. I'll see if I have some better ones.



The toughest obstacle on Parsons' N ridge appears to be an incredible tower. On this map it's about a quarter of a mile south of Peak 11500'. Whereas Pk. 11500' is light granite, the tower is much darker (i.e., gabbro or diorite or something similar). It looks really tough, but the rock is heterogenous enough that it might go class 3. After the tower, there appears to be a long catwalk, which may or may not have technical sections.



It seems like a wild adventure! I hope you get out there and do it.



-Morgan

mrolph

mrolph - Sep 16, 2003 11:55 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi Morgan -



My tentative plan is to climb up the saddle to the south of Parsons and take a look at the traverse over to Simmons before deciding to whether to try Simmons, Parsons or both. The entire east face of the ridge from Parsons to Fletcher looked rather imposing to me! The west side (viewed from Vogelsang Peak) looks fairly easy but a bit of a slog.



Martin

Dave K - Sep 18, 2003 6:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very good page!

mpbro

mpbro - Sep 19, 2003 4:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks, David. You've probably been around here before, but it's a neat area...



-Morgan

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Peak 11500'' main page