Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.37658°N / 112.35234°W
Additional Information County: Piute
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12002 ft / 3658 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak 12002 is the shortest of the 12,000-foot peaks in the Tushar Mountains and is likely the easiest one to summit given its close proximity to the Alunite Ridge Trailhead. It shares the ridgeline with Peak 12070 and Delano Peak to the west and Mount Brigham to the east.

Getting There

From Marysvale, drive south 3.5 miles and turn right onto Deer Trail Road. Turn left onto Cottonwood Road and continue on for 8.5 miles. It's fairly difficult to discern changes in the dirt roads because it's pretty much a straight shot the whole way. Turn left at 7.2 miles at a prominent switchback where a 4WD road leaves the main dirt road. This road is rugged so higher clearance and 4WD are recommended. Larger vehicles like trucks and suburbans will likely not fit as well. If you can make it, the trailhead parking spot is about 1 mile past the switchback.

Route

From the Alunite Ridge Trailhead, head to west to the south of the peak directly above the parking area. Once on the saddle beyond, take the faint trail the slants up and to the right into a cluster of trees. Once in the trees find the path of least resistance and attain the faint trail beyond that will take you to the base of the east ridge of the peak. Scramble up the loose rocks veering to the right, which is more easily traveled though still on intermittent loose scree.

Round-trip Distance: 1.7 miles

Elevation Gain: 675 feet

Red Tape

No permits or reservations required. Please practice "Leave No Trace" ethics. 

When to Climb

Best months are May-October. Snow will make the trek in quite a chore.

Camping

There are some primitive campsites in the canyon to the north of the peak. Otherwise, there are several campgrounds in and around Marysvale. 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tushar MountainsMountains & Rocks