Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.69693°N / 119.1875°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11473 ft / 3497 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nice little peak overshadowed by the Sierra classics: Banner and Ritter. The first ascent is not known, also the peak has been neglected to be given a name.

Getting There

The peak can be reached from many different lakes, the closest two being Garnet Lake and Ediza Lake. Both offer a short climb to the saddle between Peak 3497 and Banner Peak. It lies 0.4 miles East of the summit of Banner Peak.

Lakeside ViewFrom Lake Ediza

Ritter and Banner in the...From Lake Ediza

Ritter RangeFrom Garnet Lake

Red Tape

For the Ansel Adams Wilderness, all overnight stay requires permits. Because this is a high traffic area, between May 1st and November 1st of every year a quota system is in effect. 60% of permits can be reserved ahead of time with a $5 per person fee while the other 40% can be picked up on a first-come-first-served basis at the USFS ranger station that is responsible for the trail head.

Camping is regulated around Shadow Lake, Lake Ediza, and some parts of Thousand Island Lake, so make sure to check as to avoid camping in a restricted zone. Also all food for overnight stays must be stored in a bear canister. Finally there are no fires allowed over 10,000ft.

Camping restrictions in the...Camping Restrictions

Routes

Northwest Ridge: Start from the saddle between Banner and Peak 3497 and proceed up the ridge. It goes at class 3 if you stay mostly to the left follow the ridge religiously.

Northwest RidgeNorthwest Ridge


South Slope: Climb the south facing slope up the talus and ledges to gain the summit. It is a moderate class 2 with the only real problem being loose rock and talus on the ledges.

North Face: Looks like it could be climbed, but more information is needed on this.

Leave No Trace

Please adhere to all Leave No Trace guidelines and keep this wilderness pristine for generations to come to enjoy.

Information

If anyone has anymore information, corrections, pictures, etc, about this peak please PM me so I can make this page even better for everyone.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ansel Adams WildernessMountains & Rocks