Peaks of Red Rocks, Nevada by elevation Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Jun 3, 2008 4:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bridge Mt Elevation; La Madre

I decided to pass on La Madre. It's very anticlimactic to have a limestone peak as the high point of RED rocks. This was not meant to be a list of RRNCA area peaks. It's a list of sandstone peaks. I was considering passing on Turtle Head as well, but then I thought I'll be nice to those who are not into route finding and still would like to have at least one summit experience in Red Rocks.
A list of all of the limestone peaks of the Spring Mountains (not just Mt Charleston Wilderness) would be awesome as well, but I'm not up for this task. You have more knowledge about all these peaks "behind" Red Rocks than I do.
Cheers!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 3, 2008 4:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Bridge Mt Elevation; La Madre

Understood. The gray rocks don't look red... but La Madre is way nicer than Turtlehead. ;^) Actually, maybe we should say "light tan rocks peaks".

Note the comment on White Rock Springs Peak, which I added at the same time as you were answering my other comments!

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Jun 3, 2008 4:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bridge Mt Elevation; La Madre

Thanks for the comment on White Rock Springs Peak. It's going to take me a bit longer to move things around in a table.
BTW, the elevation of Cloud Tower is only tentative. I could not find the exact one on any map.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 3, 2008 5:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Bridge Mt Elevation; La Madre

You are close enough for Cloud Tower. It has very little prominence, and I'm not sure what it corresponds to in the 40'-contour-interval USGS map. On the USGS map, there is one lump on that side of the main mass of Rainbow Peak; that lump has ~40' prominence, and its elevation is over 5920' (the last closed contour line). However, I don't know if that point on the map is really what they call "Cloud Tower". Maybe RPC would have a guess? I've attached a map to images on the main page, maybe someone can comment.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Peaks of Red Rocks, Nevada by elevation' main page