Penelope May at the top of...

Penelope May at the top of...

Penelope May at the top of the Giant Staircase, East Face of Mt.Whitney, High Sierra, August 2003. Photo:Alois Smrz/Penelope May.
asmrz
on Sep 10, 2003 12:41 pm
Image ID: 27476

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
rpc

rpc - Sep 10, 2003 1:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent!

Outstanding series of photos demonstrating the route!

Radek

asmrz

asmrz - Sep 10, 2003 1:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Hi Radek:

That's exactly why I submitted the photos. I hope that someone, not familiar with the route, can piece these shots together for better understanding of the route. Thanks for your comments. BTW, I was suprised how good the route was. Very nice climb, not too technical or long, just a great scramble.

Cheers, Alois.

rpc

rpc - Sep 10, 2003 3:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Excellent!

Alois,

The photos are definitely VERY informative (and enjoyable to look at) - we've been thinking of doing this route but that (UNFORTUNATELY!!!) won't happen this year. Will definitely print those out as references when we do give it a go next summer. Thanks for posting.

Radek

Craig Peer

Craig Peer - Sep 10, 2003 4:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Great pics and looks like great fun Alois!

asmrz

asmrz - Sep 11, 2003 12:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Hi Craig: Thanks for your comments. I was suprised how good the route is. I climbed it some 20+ years ago in winter, so I never really knew the feel of it. The rock is good considering it's alpine feel and the fact the route follows the most obvious weakness of the face. We had fun. This is something to be reccommended, before the permit situation gets completely out of hand. We noticed the encreased hiker traffic and talked to people about it. It seems, the Whitney Trail permit situation is impossible, so people are switching to the Mountaineers Route as a way to get up Whitney. It will not take long now, before this side of the mountain will become severely restricted too.

Craig Peer

Craig Peer - Sep 11, 2003 5:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Well, I might have to go do this some day. I really enjoyed the East Buttress.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6