Philadelphia Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Dundeel

Dundeel - Jul 14, 2014 9:18 pm Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2014

Philly Summit Steak  Sucess!

Definitely recommend May or early June. I was doing the "huckleberry breast stroke" almost the whole way from the lake to the top. It was a hot day and I took advantage of some lingering snow pockets to fill my hat and let it slowly melt. Waded into Lake Serene on the way out and it felt good enough to swim in. Philadelphia claimed my altimeter watch. Mt. Prophet tore the watchband off and the Philly huckleberry bushes plucked the remaining watch out of my pocket.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Jun 5, 2013 5:32 pm Date Climbed: Jun 5, 2013

Philadelphia Mountain  Sucess!

Much better views than I expected. Didn't hit consistent snow until about 3200' - not a problem because there was a faint climber's path to that point from the lake.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - May 3, 2011 5:33 pm Date Climbed: May 1, 2011

Tenisshoes  Sucess!

And snowshoes can mix okay with gaiters.

GREAT VIEWS OF MT.INDEX AND AVALANCHES COMING OFF THE FACE!!!!

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - May 3, 2011 3:44 am Date Climbed: May 1, 2011

Had lots of fun  Sucess!

Had a lot of fun breaking trail up this mountain, although got a bit thirsty. Great views if you know where to look, besides the obvious looming Mount Index.

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 3, 2011 7:12 pm Date Climbed: May 1, 2011

Smoked Mad Philly!  Sucess!

Nice peak-a-boo views of Mount Index. We could hear throughout the entire climb avalanches!!!!Good to get this peak on a terrific day!!

gimpilator

gimpilator - May 29, 2009 1:30 am Date Climbed: May 28, 2009

Perfect for May  Sucess!

Did this one with Redwic at his suggestion. Bomb-proof snow on the ridge made for a great time. He's right, the views are better than expected. We heard and saw multiple rockfalls and snow plummeting off of Mount Index.

Redwic

Redwic - May 29, 2009 12:05 am Date Climbed: May 28, 2009

Better Than Expected!!!  Sucess!

When I had heard that the summit of Philadelphia Mountain is covered by evergreen forest, I expected no-to-limited views. I received quite the opposite, with spectacular views both north and south. Along the western slopes of the mountain, views of Mount Index are very impressive. This was the perfect time of year for my hiking partner (Gimpilator, this time) and I to do this peak. as the avalanche danger had passed but a lot of backcountry snow travel was done. Highly recommended summit route.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Philadelphia Mountain' main page