13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
robgendreau

13 year-old on Everest

by robgendreau » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:46 am

A thirteen-year-old is attempting to summit Everest:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 220D49.DTL

Aside from issues about the danger on such a peak, I'm curious about whether anyone knows about the possible effects of hypoxia on young brains. I'd figure that oxygen deprivation might be worse on a developing neural system, but I'm no doc and we're arguing at work about it. Anyone know?

I'm no fan of the nanny state, and have enjoyed doing some pretty dangerous things in my youth, but you won't find me contributing to the climbing fund.

Rob

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 am

I think the Dad is a disgusting person. The question of hypoxia and the affects on young brains I think is one of the lesser worries. I know he has already hiked some extremely challenging peaks but those should have come in to question as well. If an 18 year old makes this decision, at least he/she is an adult that legally can make that decision. If your in your 20's at least you've lived a little, you're somewhat mature (in terms of life experiences, not disparagng the age group). This kid's brain is capable of making decisions that of a young brain, no more. If he dies up there, will this idiot father say, well he died while doing what he loved?" I mean, people say those things, who have experienced life and are taking risks that mature people, with mature brains can make that call. I'm sorry, if the worse case happens here, I quite frankly think the father and mother should be brought up on murder charges. Some here might think that to be totally crazy, but I just think kids at that age should not have parents either promote, push or support this type of thing. Taking risks as a youngster is one thing, I would put this decision, in a category all to it's own. This is more than just taking a risk.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 am

I had mentioned in my post that the parents be brought up on murder charges if the worse happens. Rob, I now notice that you're a lawyer, I don't know your area of expertise but I'll bet you have at your finger tips, if there has been any prior court cases where parents have allowed their juvenile kids to participate in something that has a very real chance of death occurring and death did occurr and what was the outcome in a court of law.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 am

Take it easy, guys! In Romania we have same such kind of stupid parents :mrgreen:
http://www.clubulmontanaltitudine.ro/news/home.php

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 am

Ah...Your all a bunch of old farts. Can't you remember what it was like to be 13?! hee hee

If your worried about these folks losing brain cells, I think they've already lost some.

I mean, who will carry his Legos? Will he start a Pokemon thread here? What happens if he drops his DS into a crevasse?!

Not to mention, my GAWD, can you imagine?! "Mommmm...where are my mittens?!" , "Momm....the sherpa is being mean to me", "Mommm....I need to puke....Momm....I need to peee......"

Freaking...No Thanks, Man. My kids go to GRANDMA'S HOUSE. I'll bag the peak myself thank you, very much. At least until my kids turn 13 and a half.

Charles

Re: 13 year-old on Everest

by Charles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 am

robgendreau wrote:A thirteen-year-old is attempting to summit Everest:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 220D49.DTL

Aside from issues about the danger on such a peak, I'm curious about whether anyone knows about the possible effects of hypoxia on young brains. I'd figure that oxygen deprivation might be worse on a developing neural system, but I'm no doc and we're arguing at work about it. Anyone know?

I'm no fan of the nanny state, and have enjoyed doing some pretty dangerous things in my youth, but you won't find me contributing to the climbing fund.

Rob

Ask Toxo

dyusem

by dyusem » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:42 pm

A much better story about the Romero clan here:

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture ... est-1.html

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 pm

many years ago in Brenta a friend of mine climbed the Fehrmann route to Campanile Basso (D - 5.7) leaded by his son, 11 years old ...
I was there and looking at him (the boy) with admiration : safe, fast, careful, with no effort at all ... I felt envious
... why didn't I started climbing when 9 yo ???

a 13 years old boy surely can climb Everest with less effort and risk than an old (rich) fart leaded by 2 guides and company :D

visentin

by visentin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

This reminds me another similar story:
http://www.summitpost.org/article/50087 ... ents-.html

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 pm

gabriele wrote:many years ago in Brenta a friend of mine climbed the Fehrmann route to Campanile Basso (D - 5.7) leaded by his son, 11 years old ...
I was there and looking at him (the boy) with admiration : safe, fast, careful, with no effort at all ... I felt envious
... why didn't I started climbing when 9 yo ???

a 13 years old boy surely can climb Everest with less effort and risk than an old (rich) fart leaded by 2 guides and company :D

I don't know if you can compare high altitude climbing with rock climbing in this instance. Isn't it a known fact that the younger a person is, the harder time they have with adapting to high elevation? 8 years ago it was a huge deal for 20-23 year old's climbing Everest. Even though they were in the best shape of their lives and had loads of experience, there was controversy over their age and how they could handle the altitude. I once heard the prime age for high altitude climbing is mid 30's to mid 40's. Not only because you have been climbing longer but you have gained more experience and decision making abilities.

I guess I'm overrating Everest, who am I kidding, you can practically get dragged up on a sled the whole way up if you pay enough. I'm sure he will make it. :D

talusfinder

by talusfinder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Ah...Your all a bunch of old farts. Can't you remember what it was like to be 13?! hee hee

If your worried about these folks losing brain cells, I think they've already lost some.

I mean, who will carry his Legos? Will he start a Pokemon thread here? What happens if he drops his DS into a crevasse?!

Not to mention, my GAWD, can you imagine?! "Mommmm...where are my mittens?!" , "Momm....the sherpa is being mean to me", "Mommm....I need to puke....Momm....I need to peee......"

Freaking...No Thanks, Man. My kids go to GRANDMA'S HOUSE. I'll bag the peak myself thank you, very much. At least until my kids turn 13 and a half.

Are we there yet? How much further? Are we there yet? How much further? Are we there yet? How much further?...

Cy Kaicener

13 year old on Everest

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Here is his weblog
http://www.jordanromero.com/weblog
and a list of his sponsors
http://jordanromero.com/sponsors

I hope they carry lots of Oxygen
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:19 pm

LOL They're getting younger every day. If he's done Denali, he shouldn't have any issues doing Everest. Even though I wouldn't encourage it, I don't see a huge problem with it. There's a lot of activities 13y olds do that could be considered dangerous. If he's done Denali and still feels like doing Everest, he must really enjoy it.

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:I had mentioned in my post that the parents be brought up on murder charges if the worse happens. Rob, I now notice that you're a lawyer, I don't know your area of expertise but I'll bet you have at your finger tips, if there has been any prior court cases where parents have allowed their juvenile kids to participate in something that has a very real chance of death occurring and death did occurr and what was the outcome in a court of law.

Essentially, wouldn't driving your child to school be as dangerous? Statistically there's alot more children killed in car accidents every year than falling off a mountain. Would you suggest these parents also be punished for manslaughter? Granted, Everest should be reserved for the more elite climbers, but I think it would be going overboard to go after parents if something was to go awry on a climb. If something bad did happen, I would think it's already a negative situation of losing your child much less worrying about a bunch of greedy lawyers and a corrupt judiciary system to pour salt in the wound.

What about the actual act of going to school? You know there's alot of schools that have metal detectors to prevent weapons, gangs, perverted teachers, etc.

I would think your time would be better suited of going after the Catholic religion for their cover-ups than a parent showing the world to their child.

That's just me though.

dwhike

by dwhike » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Geez, all I got were GI-Joe's when I turned 13...never thought to put a trip to Everest on my list... :?

Next

Return to News