1977 Yosemite Plane Crash

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Ricknie

1977 Yosemite Plane Crash

by Ricknie » Tue May 31, 2005 7:49 pm

In 1977 a plane loaded with dope crashed into Lower Merced Pass Lake. I knew the pilot and his wife since high school. His wife and I are working on co-authoring a book about the incident. I am looking for anyone that can recall any stories about what went on in the area during the first few weeks following the crash. We are not looking to expose anyone, we are looking for stories to add to what we already knew happened up to that night. I have talked to a few ex park employees as well as original C4 members that were there at the time and have gotten their take on things. Anyone else? You can email me or call me at the number below.

Rick Schloss
San Jose, CA
408-295-1501

Greg Enright

Re: 1977 Yosemite Plane Crash

by Greg Enright » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:40 am

I worked in the Valley in '79, and everyone was still talking about the 'plane'. They all had stories about the hike up there, cutting through the ice, falling into the holes, and drying the pot by hanging bed sheets from the ceilings of their dorm rooms.
Some had stories of how Karma had caught up to those who had made lots of money from the find. One guy has a story that stands out from the rest, I'll let him know about your project, though I'd be surprised if he called.

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:50 pm

I hope you have talked to Bacher. I think he put his bounty to the best use, between the VW van and importing Fire's I think he did quite well.

no avatar
Ricknie

by Ricknie » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:46 am

Greg, yes please do pass on my name/contact info.

We are not using names. We are just looking for stories. From the outrageous to the sublime. People are welcomed to email them, call me and tell them to me, or in many cases, I'll be taking them personally. What ever it takes to make people comfortable.

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:07 am

When I moved to Yosemite Valley in '82 the stories were still being told. One guy mentioned something about photographs being taken. Later I was informed by the alleged photographer in a very threatening, covert converation that "those pictures never existed, don't talk about them, don't ask to see them, don't tell anyone you heard I had anything to do with this, but perhaps one day they might become available for public viewing when I'm dead."

no avatar
Ricknie

by Ricknie » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:44 am

I've heard a number of stories that skirt the dark and mysterious. Not to mention threatening and down right scary. What we hope to do is tell the real story from everyone's angle. And believe me, we have some great stuff in as little as two weeks. That's not counting from our side of it, the side of where the plane was coming from, going, what it really carried, and the rest.

Photos were taken by DEA, FBI, Park Service, and a few others. All are public domain now and I should be receiving them in the near future.

no avatar
Ricknie

by Ricknie » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:32 am

I now have the photos of the recovery site. Pretty amazing. They even contain photos of the SAR team wearing their coveted Tee Shirts.

I've had quite a few guys that were there, come forward and be willing to tell their stories. No names, just the stories. And I have to say that the stories are pretty fantastic. I thank all those that have talked to me, and hope more feel comfortable enough to contact me. If you aren't sure, contact those "original" C4 guys.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:19 pm

"New West" Magazine did a story on that, you might find some good references.

Aha..... "The good old days"

no avatar
Ricknie

by Ricknie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:40 am

Thanks Guyzo. I follow all leads provided.

A little up date for those following.

There were four guys that came across the wreck site. One of them died ten years ago, but his wife has contacted me. They both worked in Yosemite and she recalls what went on from that side of the story.

So, stay tuned.

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:45 pm

Im sure you have read John Longs, Rock Jocks, Wall Rats, and Hang Dogs.

no avatar
Ricknie

by Ricknie » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:35 am

Ridgeline...yep, and Lynn Hill's, Jeff Longs, and a few others. Funny how each book has some of the stuff right, but for the most part when it comes to speculating on what the plane was all about, most have it all wrong.

But thanks for the tip.

tiogap

by tiogap » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:42 am

there is a thread at supertopo.com. I think it's titled "air plane"

no avatar
northlander

by northlander » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:13 pm

I was climbing there from 1973 -1977. Lots of dope in the lake. It was great. I was hoping it was all forgotten. Let it rest. I did tell I read this. Harding would turn in his grave.

Climbpeaks

by Climbpeaks » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:22 pm

Wow. I have never heard of this plane crash before and I was not around when it happened. I just would like to know what happened(just a summary), because it sounds very interesting. Thanks.

no avatar
Ricknie

by Ricknie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:09 am

Northlander...so you are saying that if what is published as history is wrong or inaccurate, you'd like it to stay that way? For what purpose? How about contacting me off the board and filling me in?

Climbpeaks...this is a major event in the world of big rock/wall climbing. People that you have heard/read about were involved. Although a husband/father died in the crash, the aftermath was that many benefited from the cargo. The end result is that climbing might not be where it is today if those at C4 didn't take advantage of what was laid out for them.

We intend on writing a book that tells the truth about the history of the plane (drug runners), the climbers out of C4, and lets not leave out the investigation side of the event.

Next

Return to California