2 Mountaineers missed on Jubiläumsgrat

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
selinunte01

2 Mountaineers missed on Jubiläumsgrat

by selinunte01 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 pm

This sad news is already some days old: two mountaineers of Ravensburg / Gemrany are missed on Jubiläumsgrat between Zugspitze and Alpspitze.

They started december, 27th for the first part of the arete and passed the night in the little hut on Höllentalspitze where they signed the register and had a telephone call with relatives.
Next day they got lost in bad weather probably near Vollkarspitze and up to today they were not found despite of intense search of several rescue teams.

article 1 in German

article 2 in German

The death toll in the Alps seams to be very high in the beginning of this winter.

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Yayks, we thought about going there, but decided against it as the weather was too bad. We left Zermatt and the alps on the 25th as weather wasn't improving and we decided not to take the risk. I'm curious as to what has happened. There's very little possibilities to evacuate of that route, but if they'd been in the shelter, they should've been able to go back unless they fell down somewhere.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Having been on this ridge in bad weather in the summer, I know that I really wouldn't want to do the same in winter... An absence that long sadly doesn't leave much hope.

Peter K

by Peter K » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:12 am

Both climbers were found after 9 months on a snowfield south of the Vollkarspitze:

Süddeutsche Zeitung (german)

My sympathies.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Been there myself in very bad weather, it's nasty!

Return to Europe