5-10 day Backpacking suggestions - Olympic National Park

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
tarushbali

5-10 day Backpacking suggestions - Olympic National Park

by tarushbali » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi

I am looking to do a backpacking trip around Olympic National Park.

I've backpacked a 6 day loop in Glacier National Park (Many Glacier to Logan Pass through Fifty Mountain/Stoney Indian), the Teton Crest trail, two trips to Grand Canyon - so I have intermediate backpacking experience. I have beginner ice axe/crampon experience (took a two day class, climbed Mt Lassen through the North East Face, attempted Shasta but had to turn back due to bad weather).

I really like being in places that not a lot of people access either because of limited campsites (by just being flexible for a day and maybe trying first-come-first-serve permits) and also backcountry experiences that aren't accessible to day hikers (say a loop that traverses 20-30 miles away from nearest road). I've discovered that this is a great experience to have and want to have one of these every year.

So, I've been planning a trip around Christmas and was wondering if there are some cool hikes in Olympic National Park that I could try. Are there some good long backpacking trips? I don't mind carrying an ice axe/crampons (have snow camping gear and rather enjoy snow) but wouldn't want to be in severely compromising situations.

Also, I do not mind any suggestions about day hikes you'd recommend as well or other places like Rainier or North Cascades that I should visit. I'm coming from San Francisco with a car.

I know this is a long post but thank you for any suggestions! I am always amazed by how much info this community has.

Thanks

seano

Re: 5-10 day Backpacking suggestions - Olympic National Park

by seano » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:46 am

Christmas in the Olympics?! Check out the forecast for Forks, WA -- 40 and raining as far as the eye can see. Even on the "dry" side, Quilcene is just about the same. Since (I think) most trailheads in the Olympics are not much above sea level, you'll have to fight your way through a couple thousand feet of frigid drizzle to reach the snow.

I don't know what the locals do in the winter (there's a reason I don't live there...), but I'd look for somewhere higher (Baker, Rainier, Stevens Pass) and/or drier (Leavenworth area).

reboyles

Re: 5-10 day Backpacking suggestions - Olympic National Park

by reboyles » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 pm

I spent three winters working in the woods on the south, west and north sides of the Olympics and by far the northern side (Olympic Park, Port Angeles to Port Townsend) was drier. However, this year is different and the Pacific pipeline is back in action on the west coast and they're seeing record precipitation this year. One of the biggest hazards I saw from the hurricane force storms was huge amounts trees knocked down over the roads, especially the back roads. None the less, the Olympics are a beautiful place in winter.

Bob

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)