A loop: Millcreek ridge to lakes to Gobblers, Raymond, Neff'

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Dan Flynn

A loop: Millcreek ridge to lakes to Gobblers, Raymond, Neff'

by Dan Flynn » Tue May 27, 2014 2:29 am

Hi, I'm looking to do a backpacking/camping loop starting by coming up the western side of Grandeur Peak and following the Millcreek Ridge along Church Fork Peak, Mt. Aire and Murdock Peak, going to the lakes (Salamander, Red Pine, Desolation, Dog Lake), then heading back to come out Neff's Canyon via Gobbler's Knob and Mt. Raymond. Yesterday I hiked up the west side of Grandeur Peak and went as far as Burch Hollow, where I turned in and headed down to the road. Based on yesterday's hike, I think I could make it as far as Mt. Aire in a day. I'd like to camp somewhere in that area the first night. The next day I would hike to the Murdock Peak area and camp near Lake Salamander, then to Desolation and Dog Lakes for the third night. After Dog Lake, I would like to camp somewhere between there and Dog Lake, splitting that stretch (out Neff's Canyon) into two days.

So I'm looking for any information about best places to camp during that first stretch, and last stretch (before and after the lakes), where to find water with the least amount of descent. I've been looking at Elbow Fork as a possible water and camping spot the first night, but I don't know how far down I'd have to go before the stream's running (mid-June). Or perhaps there's a better option on the Lamb's Canyon side? I want to be able to find water along the way with the least amount of descent in order to keep going along the ridge to Murdock Peak. I'm not worried about water once I'm in that area, with all the lakes. But then I also wonder about the stretch after Dog Lake to Neff's and where I can expect to find water and best camping options.

If you know this area really well and would throw in your two cents, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks, Dan

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: A loop: Millcreek ridge to lakes to Gobblers, Raymond, N

by Scott » Tue May 27, 2014 3:13 am

So I'm looking for any information about best places to camp during that first stretch, and last stretch (before and after the lakes)

I haven't done parts of that trail for several years (I moved from SLC in 2001), but here's what I remember:

Good campsites (without water) are located on the summit of Grandeur Peak and at Mt Aire saddle. There's a small campsite near the junction of the Elbow Fork/Lambs Canyon trails (Lambs Canyon Pass). After that it's pretty sparse for camping until near Murdock Peak. Unless there is some snow for water, you'll probably want to drop off the saddle south of Murdock Peak into Mill Creek Canyon to stock up on some water. There is water not that far below the saddle. It's quite a bit of descent and reascent if you wanted to get water from Elbow Fork or the Lambs Canyon Trail. It may be easier to carry it for that section and to stock up around the springs near Murdock Peak.

Lake Salamander is private land and you can't visit that area. Red Pine and Desolation Lake have pretty good campsites, though Red Pine can be buggy and Desolation can be crowded.

There are some good campsites in the Mill A Basin, but water can be sparse. If you are going over the summits of Mount Raymond and Gobblers Knob, water will be sparse unless there is snow (it might be best to do the hike in mid to late June when there is snow around). The best bet will be dropping down to Baker Spring. There is pretty good camping in that area. After that the next water will be some springs near the top of Neffs Canyon.

no avatar
Dan Flynn

by Dan Flynn » Tue May 27, 2014 4:17 am

Thanks, Scott, for the great info. Maybe I'll do this loop in the reverse from what I was thinking--start at Neff's and end going down the west side of Grandeur Peak so that if I have to be loaded down with the weight of extra water on Millcreek Ridge, at least it will be on the downhill.

Thanks for the tip about Baker Spring. Just looked it up and they say it's year round.

As far as dropping in the saddle south side of Murdock Peak, does this require going all the way down to Millcreek trail? Can you give me a better idea where I might find the spring there and whether there's a decent trail getting to it?

Thank you!

Matthew Van Horn

by Matthew Van Horn » Fri May 30, 2014 10:59 pm

I wouldn't plan on pitching a tent on the summit of Grandeur, unless you would like hikers and runners brushing your tent all hours of the night and morning. It is a very popular trail and summit for runners. A large group was up last night at midnight. It is a small summit.

If you are filtering water there would be plenty in the stream between Mt Aire saddle and Elbow Fork. I believe there is a spring at Desolation lake, but I know there is a pipe spring just down from Blunder Fork - that is, the fork between Desolation lake and Dog Lake. Baker Spring, of course, then you would find the most glorious spring just beneath Neff's Pass. If you are going soon as of today there are still large patches of snow for you to stuff in your bottles, but it is melting quickly up there.

If you are following the ridgeline to Gobblers then you could possibly find meltwater near the top of Alexander Basin. If you are not following the ridgeline then you would hike the East branch of Butler fork to find water; there are springs and streams in there all the way to the turn off to the West branch.

Return to Utah