Absaroka Mountains: where do they end?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Absaroka Mountains: where do they end?

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:and the SP page on the northern Absarokas ought to be amended to include the vast area in Montana.

I'm actually working on a page for the Montana Absarokas to complete the subdivision of the Absarokas on SP. I expect to be done in around a week.

jeep1212

by jeep1212 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:I guess my original question was relating more to the northwestern end of the range; where the boundary with the Beartooths is and where the northwestern terminus is.

Why don't you call the beartooth ranger station in red lodge and ask them?derrrr

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:15 pm

The Beartooths are to the East of the Absarokas. The Northwestern Edge of the range is Livingston Peak!

bakcast

Shoshone Range

by bakcast » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:53 pm

I learned something new that might be of interest in this discussion. While attending the premier of the PBS documentary Before there were parks, a marvelous production from Bozmanite, Charles Dye, a member of the Shoshone tribe explained the following: Prior to 1912, the Absaroka range as we know it today in Montana, was marked on USGS maps as the Shoshone Range. While I haven't seen one of those maps myself, it would make sense that it would have a different name, given the expansive Absaroka range in present day Wyoming and the unclear differentiation between North Absaroka/South Absaroka, etc.

There is, of course, much controversy as to the naming of places such as this in the greater Yellowstone ecosystem today given the long history between the Crow and Shoshone Indians (as well as others). I've been told that that the Shoshone claim historical rights to the land in question and the Crows infringed upon these rights in more recent history. In this case, it seems that there is the potential for someone having made a mistake in 1912 with the new USGS maps. The debate will go on for sure.

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)