Achilles Tendon Tear

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 pm

ksolem wrote:Since you are healing an area known to have poor circulation, regular aerobic workouts which get the blood flowing will accelerate your recovery. Obviously you can't run for now. Ask your doc about using a rowing machine. That might be really good for you.

Excellent suggestion.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Dave Dinnell wrote:An attractive, I mean a good massage therapist might be helpful. Or, at the least, consistent self massage to the area to help increase circulation.

Another great idea. An attractive therapist would have the advantage of elevating the mood as well!

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Aromatherapy massage worked wonders for my hands and feet which encountered a circulation issue. I got 50% better after just 2 sessions. The blend of 6 oils was formulated for me according my symptoms, and I'm now just wearing socks and standing on cold floors without much problem. So this would be worth a try as an aid to boost recovery. And, ahhem, I'd wear some tight underwear as its not only mood that can become elevated :roll:

no avatar
bfred

Achilles Tendon Tear

by bfred » Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 am

Tore mine completely at age 53. (three years ago). Surgery needed to repair it. I have a great orthopedic surgeon. I went to PT for 8 weeks after the boot came off. Did not have great mobility for a year as it took that long to break down all of the scar tissue. On cold mornings it takes a while after stretching to get all of the stiffness out during hikes or climbs. Surgery was my only option.
I can sympathize with you, the sound of the tear and the feeling immediately after was probably the worst injury I have experienced to date.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed May 19, 2010 2:58 am

bfred,

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm 5 months past surgery now. While my ankle still feels really stiff in back I nevertheless have about 95% of range of motion back. However, the surgical scar is still very sensitive and I can't wear a regular hiking boot yet. So I feel like it's a mixed bag on progress but my surgeon said my range of motion returned a lot sooner than he expected and so that's good. Went to PT once and then simply did my own.

Cheers,

Augie

no avatar
bfred

by bfred » Thu May 20, 2010 12:52 am

Augie,
The stiffness will work out over time. My ankle felt stiff for almost a year, however it never limited my range of motion. During the first year the breaking up of the scar tissue caused me some concern until the surgeon told me what it was.
Good luck with the rehab and don't push it too much!
Bfred

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 am

Mountain Impulse wrote:bfred,

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm 5 months past surgery now. While my ankle still feels really stiff in back I nevertheless have about 95% of range of motion back. However, the surgical scar is still very sensitive and I can't wear a regular hiking boot yet. So I feel like it's a mixed bag on progress but my surgeon said my range of motion returned a lot sooner than he expected and so that's good. Went to PT once and then simply did my own.

Cheers,

Augie

I am a PT and that is just fine as long as you were given a good home program. These injuries are tough, and I have seen surgical and non surgical approaches. Personally I would also do the surgery. Either way you are in a cast for atleast 7-8 weeks non weightbearing. I could not get past the trust issue if not surgically repaired.

Massage the crap out of that incision for a long time. Being able to do 20 single leg calf raises with out loosing amplitude is considered normal. Good luck.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm

bfred wrote:Augie,
During the first year the breaking up of the scar tissue caused me some concern until the surgeon told me what it was.

Bfred

What's that feel like? Just curious if I'm having the same problem ...

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed May 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Husker wrote:
Mountain Impulse wrote:bfred,

Cheers,

Augie

I am a PT and that is just fine as long as you were given a good home program. These injuries are tough, and I have seen surgical and non surgical approaches. Personally I would also do the surgery. Either way you are in a cast for atleast 7-8 weeks non weightbearing. I could not get past the trust issue if not surgically repaired.

Massage the crap out of that incision for a long time. Being able to do 20 single leg calf raises with out loosing amplitude is considered normal. Good luck.

Thanks for that Husker. I need to step up massaging of the scar; I haven't done a good job there. Glad you mentioned that single leg calf raise test as a standard. I'm not nearly at 20 yet, but I do that exercise nearly every day.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed May 26, 2010 5:03 pm

granite4brains wrote:
bfred wrote:Augie,
During the first year the breaking up of the scar tissue caused me some concern until the surgeon told me what it was.

Bfred

What's that feel like? Just curious if I'm having the same problem ...

I'm not sure about any sensation of "breaking up" the tissue, but for me, even with nearly full range of motion, my ankle still feels like there are steel rods in it. At least they bend when I move!

Previous

Return to Technique and Training