Alternate Routes on Granite

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
gwave47

Alternate Routes on Granite

by gwave47 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:42 am

Has anyone ever attempted any alternate routes on Granite? Maybe like an approach from East or West Rosebud but then go around Granite by Lowary Lake or the other way passing Avalanche lake and gain the summit up the SW couloir near sky top glacier? This would def. be a longer approach, but may make for easier climbing while still providing more company. I attempted the SW couloir last year and we didn't pass anyone the entire way up or back. This year I am attempting to solo the route so would prefer to not be in a situation where there is no help within 20 miles.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I've climbed Granite both by Avalanche Lake and by the SW Couloir, both are good routes, not sure about Lowery Lakes. Saw several groups of climbers or fishermen on SW side, and it is a good straightforward route, perhaps easier than the "standard" route, but last year it was full of ice (the couloir) which made it a bit trickier, still, I went up without ropes, so it can be soloed, even in bad conditions, just be careful.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)