Anyone got information about Manglik Sar?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
WouterB

Anyone got information about Manglik Sar?

by WouterB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm looking for this year' holliday destination. Out of all places I want to go, Pakistan seems to be the thing I'd like to do most this year.

I can't find too much decent information on it though. I found this trekking that includes Manglik Sar, but it doesn't say how hard it is to climb. So any info would be appreciated.

Also, if you know a nice trekking in Pakistan, please let me know. I'd like to also try to climb a mountain around 6000m's high.

alpine

mingalik sar

by alpine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

hello
Mingalik sar 6050m peak situated in shimshal pass,which is realy beautiful and not so technical ,from pasture you can climb the peak in one day.its required 12 days from islamabad back islamabad.shimshal pamir is a pasture where thousands of yak,ship and goats are grazing.the best season is july and auguest.the trekk is also easy but very beautiful.
you can meet many people on shimshal pass where they stay 6 month.
cheer
Qudrat

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Mmh, is it located in the "SWAT"-valley? I heard they reintroduced the Sharia, or whatever it's called.

BigLee

by BigLee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:30 pm

...No, Shimshal is nowhere near Swat.

The peak you mention is probably the easiest 6000er in Pakistan. Around Alpine PD. The trek to Shimshal pass is quite adventerous as well. Easy to hire porters in Shimshal as everybody knows the way. Just ask in either of the guesthouses in Shimshal. From Shimshal it's around 2 days to Shimshal Pass (although locals manage it in a day). Bring all your trekking food from Gilgit or Karimabad. If your hiring a vehicle to Shimshal from Passu then travel early morning as there's a water crossing that steadily rises throughout the day.

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Looks like a very nice place/mountain. Just have to convince my climbing buddy that Pakistan is the place to be.

How many days you reckon I'll need to climb the mountain? With acclimatization and a couple of resting days.

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Start convincing the other partner, i'm out!

PD is almost like the easiest route on Mt Blanc. But consider the 6000 meter and probably there won't be a prob

I didn't ask you to come, and I won't :twisted:

BigLee

by BigLee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:59 pm

People normally do it in a single day from Shimshal pass. That makes for around 1300m but the gradient isn't steep. You could probably do the climb in 2 weeks round trip from Islamabad if you acclimatise quickly and the weather is good. Longer would allow for more acclimatisation, bad weather (a common problem in the Karakoram) and to explore some of the (rarely visited) side valleys or climb smaller summits in the area.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks a lot for the info BigLee! If I can get everything sorted, that's the place I'll be going. Thus, more information will be appreciated.

Just wondering. Could I climb this alone? I don't mind climbing it solo if there aren't any glaciers, but I've read there is a glacier with some crevasses.

Can you recommend a company and do you have any idea what they'll charge me? Or is it possible to book something in Islamabad?

BigLee

by BigLee » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Yes there is glacier/crevasses. The Karakoram is probably the most glaciated place outside the poles so there's no escaping them.

You might get lucky and find somebody in Shimshal who has climbed the peak. Quite a few of them have although if you're looking for a formal guide then you might be better off arranging something through an Islamabad based company (many of the Shimshali guides will work for these and tend not be to around Shimshal during the peak climbing/trekking season). I'm no expert on companies although try to find a Shimshali guide as a trip to the Shimshal Pamir will be more interesting with them (they will have family and friends there as it is a summer herding settlement). Alpine is a good person to contact.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:30 pm

Now I reread my previous post, I sound pretty dumb. I know there are loads of glaciers in the area. I know there are crevasses in glaciers. I just read that there is a particular dangerous one on you'd have to cross on the way to the summit.

Thanks for the info BigLee, I'll try to contact Alpine.

Edit: mail and pm have been sent to Alpine.

Return to Asia