Anyone taken a course with SOLO in NH?

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
brokesomeribs

Anyone taken a course with SOLO in NH?

by brokesomeribs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Is anyone familiar with the medical training company SOLO based in North Conway, NH? I'm thinking of taking their WFR course this winter. Would love to hear some feedback. If it makes a difference, I'm a street EMT with almost 10 years experience, about 1300 calls, lots of backcountry experience as well. As I understand it, their WFR allows me to convert my EMT-B into a WEMT.

nartreb

Re: Anyone taken a course with SOLO in NH?

by nartreb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Took their WFA course last winter. As a former professional instructor (in a totally unrelated field) I can heartily recommend this organization. The instructor was both experienced in his field and skilled at handling his audience. Having had little previous formal training (non-wilderness FR in college) I found there was too much material to really retain (mnemonic acronyms only go so far), but there was enough hands-on practice to reinforce the essentials. (As it happened, I was first-passerby at a car crash about a week later, so the training came in handy right away.)
I'd love to do a WFR course but the time commitment is tough.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I took a SOLO WFA class a couple years ago and was impressed. It wasn't held at SOLO HQ in NH, but down here in CT, sponsored by our local AMC chapter. SOLO is one of the "big three" wilderness medicine groups -- I forget the other two, but they're both based out west, so SOLO is really pretty much it for us New Englanders/Right Coasters.

Take another look at the SOLO website or, better yet, give 'em a call -- I think what you want is the wilderness "module" or "upgrage" for EMT-B's to become WEMT's. I think the WFR course is going to be covering medical topics that you're probably already well-versed in. (I'm in the middle of my street EMT class right now and am planning to take the wilderness upgrade next spring, very likely with SOLO...)

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Alpinisto, got your PM, thanks for the add'l info. Everything looks just as you said.

no avatar
ERdiesel

by ERdiesel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:05 pm

I got my WFR cert from SOLO about a year and half ago and the instructor was great. I was fortunate to have found a course that they were holding in nyc so I didn't have to go all the way up to NH. They have my recommendation.

ridged8

by ridged8 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 am

NOLS is one of the other 2, mentioned above. I'm taking their course in Ga. in March.

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue