Ascending Webbing

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Autoxfil wrote:The speed and safety gained from a rope are very much worth the weight.

Drop down to an 8 or 9mm static line to save weight and bulk. Just keep it well away from sharp edges and buy ascenders that grip it well.

I agree. Benjy, I take it after a bunjee jump the ascent distance is a few stories no? My gut tells me I wouldn't want to do that on webbing.

Rick Kent

by Rick Kent » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:10 pm

I second that. Although I would ascend webbing in an emergency situation it should not be a frequent procedure. It may also depend a little bit on how long a piece you are ascending. Note that a single long piece of webbing gets to be pretty dynamic and if you have a 100 ft piece there could be a lot of bouncing while ascending which can really increase the shock load. If there's a nick or flaw in the webbing it's not hard to envision a catastrophic failure. I would feel a whole lot better with at least an 8mm static rope. Also I would be very worried about ascenders slipping on the webbing.

You mentioned bungee so I assume you're in a hanging position. I assume that also means you're still tied into the bungee? If so then at least you have a dynamic backup if the webbing were to fail. That might be the only thing that makes it even worth considering. Still however I think you'd have a lot less to worry about with a rope.

Nikolas_A

by Nikolas_A » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:47 pm

http://www.kong.it/doc/KONG_DUCK.pdf

The Duck is the first and only belay device that works on flat webbing and tubular slings from 3/8" to 9/16" (even if they are not certified for progression)

Previous

Return to Gear