Awesome timelapse video from the California mountains

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MiguelVieira

Awesome timelapse video from the California mountains

by MiguelVieira » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:53 am

It includes the Sierra, the Whites, and Joshua Tree.

Some of the clips look fake, but he has other videos showing his setup and how he did it, so they're all real, amazingly.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:21 am

Amazing!!! Nice quality too!!

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:40 am

Agreed, there was some real eye candy in that one. But I must admit, personally getting out there and hiking in the sunset and then in the dark is always more beautiful. If you don't know what I mean than get out there and try it..............................you might like it.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:42 am

For some other examples of cool time-lapse, it's worth checking out the movie Baraka from 1992.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:47 am

TyeDyeTwins wrote:. . . getting out there and hiking in the sunset and then in the dark is always more beautiful.

I have often done large portions of Grand Canyon hikes at night. It's the best alone, during summer, when there is no Moon, and the Milky Way is vivid, without light pollution. People have asked me why I would want to hike it at night. I tried to explain, but I'm not sure if they got it.

Ammon Hatch

by Ammon Hatch » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
TyeDyeTwins wrote:. . . getting out there and hiking in the sunset and then in the dark is always more beautiful.

I have often done large portions of Grand Canyon hikes at night. It's the best alone, during summer, when there is no Moon, and the Milky Way is vivid, without light pollution. People have asked me why I would want to hike it at night. I tried to explain, but I'm not sure if they got it.

I had a similar experience in the Wind Rivers last summer trying to do Gannett in a day. Started about 10 PM and hiked through the night (and day, but this isn't about that), mostly by headlamp, but when it was time to rest we flipped off the headlamps and enjoyed the moonless sky, void of light pollution. I remember a particular rest at Island Lake when we started wondering what we were doing. I thought it might be a good idea to just disappear into the night sky rather than keep walking.

haivanhuynh

by haivanhuynh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Day Hiker wrote:For some other examples of cool time-lapse, it's worth checking out the movie Baraka from 1992.

or entirely in time-lapse, Ron Fricke's spiritual prequel, Chronos.

Michael Stearns. 8)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088919/

Return to California