Backpack and Sleeping Bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm

I like my Osprey Aether 85. When I go with my wife I tend to carry some of her gear so I need the extra size. But the pack compresses down nicely and I remove the top section (which also makes a nice small fanny pack). I hardly use my smaller pack anymore.

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Grampahawk wrote:I like my Osprey Aether 85. When I go with my wife I tend to carry some of her gear so I need the extra size. But the pack compresses down nicely and I remove the top section (which also makes a nice small fanny pack). I hardly use my smaller pack anymore.

Ditto.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Wastral wrote, in response to the REI pack in question

Brian
"My 2c is that anything labeled REI is Low END Junk just above Campmoor crap."

dskoon wrote:
Lots of good advice here. I agree w/ many, if you're winter camping, you'll probably need a bigger pack.

But, my two cents: I used to work at REI, have that pack(but like you, haven't really used it yet!), but, I did sell them and most seemed to like it. One guy in particular, a climber, used it up in the Enchantments of Wa. on a 5-day climbing trip, and said it was excellent. Served his puposes well. Of course, gotta know how to pack it, lightweight bag, etc. etc. He carried a rope, etc. and everything for his 5-day adventure, and it worked for him.
Again, gotta go somewhat lightweight with that size of pack, no matter the brand.
Best o' luck!

Another great and vast generalization by Wastal! The climber I spoke with didn't think that pack was junk. . .

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:43 pm

Well as with most things it seems like many things will work and a lot depends on opinion. I think I am leaning towards the Cilogear worksacks at the moment. My only real question would be what size?
I think either a 45 or 60 liter would work. They both obviously have a huge range of sizes since you can compress and extend them.
It would probably help if i defined what my plans are for it a little more. I'd use it a lot for local cragging where approaches are short and I would mostley need climbing gear. I'd also be using it for day hikes as well as over nighters. The main climb I'm really going to need a pack for is Whitney. At the moment I plan on doing it in the summer. I want to be able to use it for over night alpine climbs which at this point wouldn't be very extreme and I would be bringing down jackets and heavy winter gear. I would also like it to work for Rainier in a year or two.
So I know that both the 45 and 60 since down pretty small. My question is whether or not the 45 expands big enough to carry my larger synthetic sleeping bag and tent or id I can make do with the 45 and put the tent and stuff on the outside?
I guess I'm thinking the 60 would give me more options since it pretty much does the same as a 45 but goes bigger. Its only disadvantage is that its smallest size is 6 liters bigger than the 45.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:38 am

I went online and started looking at more pictures. The 45 liter looks like it goes pretty big but I still need some advice on size. Plus I dont see the difference between the 45l and 45B. The website says something about one having a front zipper but neither seem to have a front zipper.

blazin

by blazin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:18 am

I have a V2 45L and absolutely love it. While I haven't done scientific experiments to prove this, I am almost certain that the 45 liter capacity rating is an underestimate. Certainly fully expanded, with the chimney up, it's more comparable to other manufacturer's 60 liter packs. I have used mine for day hikes, cragging, summit pushes, and humping huge loads into the backcountry. Thanks to the versatility of the design and the great suspension I've been able to haul loads close to 70lbs. I can't say it was comfortable, but everything fit in or on the pack and got where it needed to go (as you can just barely see on the pic below). I have found it to be extremely versatile and useful. Should it be your only pack? Probably not, but it comes closer than any other pack I've encountered.

I can't, however, comment on the difference between the 45L and 40B. I suggest contacting Graham and the crew at CiloGear directly. They're (usually) pretty good at getting back to you quickly.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks for the pic. I did email Graham although I got a response from someone else which I dont mind. Not sure which size yet but I'm pretty positive I'll get the 60l for the versatility.

Thanks again

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 am

Hey, where is that picture taken?

It looks like scree hell. =-)

Brian
my 2c. Anything labeled REI can be bought cheeper with a different brand name(Kelty, Jansport etc) as there is no difference between them. Thus, low end very serviceable junk. Besides for hiking all one needs is backpack one can buy for $20 a sleeping bag one can buy for $20 and a tarp that one can buy for $15 with regular clothes. The most expensive part? Boots are really really nice, though for 15 years I wore nothing but tennis shoes and simply brought more socks along if there was snow.

blazin wrote:I have a V2 45L and absolutely love it. While I haven't done scientific experiments to prove this, I am almost certain that the 45 liter capacity rating is an underestimate. Certainly fully expanded, with the chimney up, it's more comparable to other manufacturer's 60 liter packs. I have used mine for day hikes, cragging, summit pushes, and humping huge loads into the backcountry. Thanks to the versatility of the design and the great suspension I've been able to haul loads close to 70lbs. I can't say it was comfortable, but everything fit in or on the pack and got where it needed to go (as you can just barely see on the pic below). I have found it to be extremely versatile and useful. Should it be your only pack? Probably not, but it comes closer than any other pack I've encountered.

I can't, however, comment on the difference between the 45L and 40B. I suggest contacting Graham and the crew at CiloGear directly. They're (usually) pretty good at getting back to you quickly.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:56 am

The only reason I am returning my pack is because I just need something different. In my experience REI has gear that does well and is a good value for the price. I don't expect REI stuff to perform like the top name brand stuff but thats not usually what its meant for.
REI stuff is good when you dont need stuff for extreme conditions and want a lower price.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:17 am

If that is the case as you see it, go to Dicks/Big5/GI Joes etc and save yourself a lot of money. Its what I did, and the gear I bought there is still made in China/Vietnam just like the REI and all the others too. My "low-end" kelty pack finally had a zipper problem because I overstuffed it with a billion books and clothes and I busted it, not because the pack was bad 15 years later after daily use and being used as a backpack pack. Cilogear, ULA, Feathered friends a rare few others are still made here.

True, I did "upgrade" to a ULA p-2 pack(60L or so) because its lighter and larger for mountaineering practice along with a BD shadow 55L pack which comes in at 3.5lbs or so. Also for mountaineering needs.

REI copies the other guys sells it for the same price or "slightly" lower, or you can buy the same thing at big5/dicks/ultimate sports etc for lower. They won't have the "latest", but hey your pocketbook sure will be happy, I know mine is since I spent it on kayaking gear which unfortunately has to be waterproof and doesn't come cheep!

Brian

mbmsfreerider wrote:The only reason I am returning my pack is because I just need something different. In my experience REI has gear that does well and is a good value for the price. I don't expect REI stuff to perform like the top name brand stuff but thats not usually what its meant for.
REI stuff is good when you dont need stuff for extreme conditions and want a lower price.

drpw

REI Flash 65

by drpw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 am

I don't understand the hate for REI, I haven't had any problems with their gear and their return policy is great.

It'd be interesting to get an amount of gear together and remove identifying labels and such and see what people thought of it without marketing professionals telling them what to think.

rmick25

Osprey Stratos 40

by rmick25 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:18 am

I use the Osprey Stratos 40 for just about everything from the John Muir Trail to Big NW Volcanoes. Works great for smaller loads because of the straight jacket option. At under 3 lbs. I love it

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:54 am

All your advice was really helpfull. But I havnt bought a pack yet partially because I have changed what it is I really want to do. In reality I'll need a pack for summer trips. Specifically Whitney this summer. I need it to carry climbing gear(Full trad rack and rope) as well as my sleeping bag and supplies (Clothes, jacket, food, etc) for 2 to 3 days. I doubt I would ever go for 4 days but if I did I'm sure I could strap things on the outside. My sleeping bag is the same so not the lightest or smallest as I said before.

So would this change the advice at all?

I guess it couldn't hurt to just get the 60 liter just in case I need the space but since I'll be climbing with it I'd like to not make it bigger than it needs to be.
So is the 45 big enough?

Thanks again

Previous

Return to Gear