backpacking in glacier NP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
slowfoto

by slowfoto » Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 pm

looking for suggestions for 4-6 day backpack trip in GNP. interested in elevation and proximity to glaciers among other things.

also what is bear activity typically like?

would also appreciate notes on best car-camping spots not in the campgrounds with lots of rv & noise.

and anything else noteworthy with respect to epic day hikes

cheers

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Sat May 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Howe Ridge above Lake McDonald.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 pm

I haven't been there myself, but I'd recommend taking a look at SP member Saint Grizzly's GNP page - it's both incredibly informative and beautifully written, in my opinion.

no avatar
slowfoto

thanks

by slowfoto » Sat May 15, 2010 10:03 pm

thanks for the replies. one of the first areas i found in SP was Saint Grizzly. It's excellent.

sushiman

by sushiman » Sat May 15, 2010 10:30 pm

are you into off trail backpacking? if so i would point you towards the Norris Traverse or any of the other semi-off trail trips in the park. access to most of the glaciers except a few of them require off trail travel in GNP.

good luck with avoiding rv's, the cutbank area would be your best bet for that...

distressbark

by distressbark » Mon May 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Early permit applications have already been processed, and my unerstanding is that Glacier recieved a large amount of trip requests this year. Do some research, come up with a couple of potential ideas, and see where it takes you from there. Get in touch with the Park Service, let them know of your desired trip length and what you'd like to see, and they should be able to cook something up for you.

I agree with Sushiman that Cutbank will be far and away your best bet to avoid RVs. Also, if you are fortunate enough to land a backpacking itinerary in the North Fork area of the park, you will almost certainly enjoy the primitive car camping sites at Bowman and Kintla lakes. Very quiet, very scenic.

no avatar
Chewy

by Chewy » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm

If you can't get the back country camping sites you want, don't despair. The dayhiking opportunities in GNP are plentiful and very impressive. Due to disc problems in my lower back I can no longer carry a backpack, so my focus is on day trips in the Park.

What date to you plan to visit? Arriving after Logan pass opens will greatly expand the list of awesome day trips.

I wish you the best of luck on getting the campsites you want.

rice

by rice » Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I SECOND THE KINTLA LAKES AREA. THE CAR CAMPING AT THE END OF THE ROAD WAS GREAT AND BACKPACKING INTO UPPER KINTLA LAKE WAS VERY NICE. WISH I COULD GO BACK SOON.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)