Backpacking Recommendations...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MCGusto

Backpacking Recommendations...

by MCGusto » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 am

So a couple of buddies and I try and get together every year or so and do some backpacking. Basically, we're looking at something within this criteria:

1. 3 to 7 days
2. 20 to 70 TOTAL miles
3. Peaks along the way NOT required, but it would be cool if there were some...
4. NOT limited to California
5. Summer hiking - July or August
6. Fishing along the way would be cool, too

Obviously this opens up a huge realm of opportunity, and each one of us has some different ideas. My first idea was the High Sierra Trail from Sequoia to Whitney, but as they've all done Whitney before, they're kind of leaning away from that. Anyone have some favorite trails/backcountry experiences with the above criteria in mind?

Some places none of us have visited, but were considering are:
1. Yellowstone
2. Glacier
3. San Juan's in CO

In CA:
1. The Lost Coast
2. North Lake to South Lake out of Bishop

Thanks in advance,

Gusto

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 am

If you have never been to them, and you are considering traveling as far as Wyoming, the Wind River Range and Cirque of the Towers is worthy of consideration. There is fishing, boulder-jumping, and peak bagging as well as technical climbing. http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/171223/wind-river-range.html
It is a jump-for-joy kinda place 8)

And you can climb the cow wall in Pinedale on your way there :D

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:11 pm

The Emigrant Wilderness Area is a backpacker mecca. It's got an excellent trail system, a beautiful mix of subalpine and alpine scenary, and over 100 lakes to fish. There are numerous loop trips that can be taken to avoid going up and back the same way. A good option might be to go in via Kennedy Meadows and out via Leavitt Meadows (or vice versa). That would take you through both the Emigrant and Hoover Wilderness Areas. The fishing is fantastic up there! You can find just about everything there; Brownies, Brookies, Rainbows and even Golden Trout.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Plugging my own neck of the woods, the Trinity Alps and Warner Mountains are less traveled and have good fishing (at least the Trinities do. Patterson Lake in the Warners is the only really good spot to fish).

Outside of California, the loop around the Seven Devils in Idaho is great.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Sabrina to North Lake, with 'entry' over Echo Col and 'exit' over Lamarck Col, and detour into Ionian Basin via Black Giant Pass and Wanda Col:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/171659/Mount-Spencer.html

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I'll have just have to narrow them down..... So many places to see!

Hmmmm.......

Gusto

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:27 pm

+1 on the Trinity Alps. Or my favorite with less crowds, Marble Mountain Wilderness Area. Scott

Return to California