Baltic-North Sea basin team!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
yatsek

Re: Baltic-North Sea basin team!

by yatsek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Proterra wrote:
yatsek wrote:
Proterra wrote:
yatsek wrote:
Proterra wrote:So, Stockholm, Goteborg, Białystok and Suwałki are Central Russian???

Maybe not a very good idea to give them some ideas... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the Presidential Palace in Warsaw is Russian again :(

Nah, not really... The current village which functions as Capital is still firmly Central European, right on the top of the "L" the border between the two runs about 50 kilometres east of the Wisła, roughly north-south along the 22nd degree east longtitude... I'd still recommend moving the residence of Bronek, as well as the Sejm and Senate some 300 kilometres south-south-west for "safety reasons" because you did bring up a valid point... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm afraid you're wrong. It's not the residence but the residents who are to be moved east.

http://www.tokfm.pl/Tokfm/1,103086,1203 ... _Euro.html

Kijów... We're taking back the Kresy... :lol:

Nah, you're wrong again. The aliens took the Kresy, then all of Central East Europe, and now they are re-taking us...

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

visentin wrote:The major problem of this thread is that is corresponds to an area with no mountains :D

You must be joking

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Proterra wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:Can climbing pope statues all over Poland also become part of this thread? I am on a mission with that ...

Most pope statues would qualify as bouldering though...

I wouldn't mind reading a trip report from whoever makes a FA on Pomnik Chrystusa Króla w Świebodzinie though... Must be the most interesting climb in Lubuskie, which itself is firmly within the Central European Plain...

I was raised Catholic but have become a kind of Protestant quite recently. Still, I hold Karol Wojtyła in high regard, so don't count on my help :P BTW I don't think he'd be pleased to see all those statues everywhere.

Proterra

by Proterra » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 pm

yatsek wrote:
Proterra wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:Can climbing pope statues all over Poland also become part of this thread? I am on a mission with that ...

Most pope statues would qualify as bouldering though...

I wouldn't mind reading a trip report from whoever makes a FA on Pomnik Chrystusa Króla w Świebodzinie though... Must be the most interesting climb in Lubuskie, which itself is firmly within the Central European Plain...

I was raised Catholic but have become a kind of Protestant quite recently. Still, I hold Karol Wojtyła in high regard, so don't count on my help :P BTW I don't think he'd be pleased to see all those statues everywhere.

I'm quite sure he wouldn't... I don't agree with quite a few of Karol Wojtyła's views, and as a matter of fact, with quite a few church policies, but still, it needs to be said that that man did more for humanity than most other people, including all 20th century leaders of the Roman Catholic Church combined. I hold him personally in very high regard, right up there with Mandela and Gandhi.

Still, as you said, he probably wouldn't like all those statues either, and I don't think he would mind if Sjarelkwint would put those to good use. :P But the biggest monstrousity in my opinion is that thing in Świebodzin... I would love to see a TR for a FA for that thing. And I think that Jesus would laugh his arse off...
I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it.

The following user would like to thank Proterra for this post
kamil

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:16 pm

We've lost to Russia three nil :( Fortunately, that's just volleyball :)

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Proterra wrote:I'm quite sure he wouldn't... I don't agree with quite a few of Karol Wojtyła's views, and as a matter of fact, with quite a few church policies, but still, it needs to be said that that man did more for humanity than most other people, including all 20th century leaders of the Roman Catholic Church combined. I hold him personally in very high regard, right up there with Mandela and Gandhi.

I couldn't agree more.

Proterra wrote:Still, as you said, he probably wouldn't like all those statues either, and I don't think he would mind if Sjarelkwint would put those to good use. :P But the biggest monstrousity in my opinion is that thing in Świebodzin... I would love to see a TR for a FA for that thing. And I think that Jesus would laugh his arse off...

I tend to think there might be a rule: The bigger the statues, the less faith (sure there would be exceptions).

The following user would like to thank yatsek for this post
kamil, Proterra

visentin

by visentin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Proterra wrote:From left to right: Rhein-Meuse-Scheldt-Main-Moselle system Weser and Elbe/Łaba-Saale-Wełtawa system Oder/Odra-Warta system Wisła-Bug-San-Narew system

Proterra wrote:You're more geographically challenged than I thought... :lol:

Ok, want some quizz ?
- What's the only river in Poland that flows into the Black sea ?
- What's the only river in Poland that flows into the North sea ?
- Where is the convergence of the three seas watersheds in the country ?

Proterra

by Proterra » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am

visentin wrote:
Proterra wrote:From left to right: Rhein-Meuse-Scheldt-Main-Moselle system Weser and Elbe/Łaba-Saale-Wełtawa system Oder/Odra-Warta system Wisła-Bug-San-Narew system

Proterra wrote:You're more geographically challenged than I thought... :lol:

Ok, want some quizz ?
- What's the only river in Poland that flows into the Black sea ?

That would be all those rivers which flow from Poland near Jabłonka into Jezioro Orawskie, which form the Orawa which itself through the Wag is a tributary of the Danube, as well as the Strwiąż near Krościenko in Bieszczady which is a tributary of the Dniestr.

visentin wrote:- What's the only river in Poland that flows into the North sea ?

The Klikawa of Kudowa-Zdrój, the Dzika Orlica which forms the southern border of Ziemia Kłodzka, Szkło in Okrzeszyn, a village south of Lubawka and the Jizera, which forms the border with Czech Republic south of Świeradów-Zdrój.

visentin wrote:- Where is the convergence of the three seas watersheds in the country ?

Trójmorski Wierch, in the eastern part of Ziemia Kłodzka
I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 am

Proterra wrote:That would be all those rivers which flow from Poland near Jabłonka into Jezioro Orawskie, which form the Orawa which itself through the Wag is a tributary of the Danube, as well as the Strwiąż near Krościenko in Bieszczady which is a tributary of the Dniestr.

Right 8)
visentin wrote:- What's the only river in Poland that flows into the North sea ?

Proterra wrote:The Klikawa of Kudowa-Zdrój, the Dzika Orlica which forms the southern border of Ziemia Kłodzka, Szkło in Okrzeszyn, a village south of Lubawka and the Jizera, which forms the border with Czech Republic south of Świeradów-Zdrój.

Right 8) . And more, I didn't know about the two first :)

Proterra wrote:Trójmorski Wierch, in the eastern part of Ziemia Kłodzka

Right 8)

visentin

by visentin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:48 am

Few others :

- On which peaks of the Tatras make the main ridge start and stop being the continental water divide ?

- Which Polish mountain allows watching both the Tatras and the Karkonosze by clear weather ?

- Where from the Odra collects Carpathian water ?

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 am

Where is the geographic centre of Europe? :)

Do not try and answer before watching this film, which I found on Tomek Lodowy's website.

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 pm

zodis wrote:
yatsek wrote:Where is the geographic centre of Europe? :)

Do not try and answer before watching this film, which I found on Tomek Lodowy's website.

Lietuva

Hmm, have you seen the movie :?: :)

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 pm

zodis wrote:I didn't view the movie. Am I correct or not? I await my prize. :)

http://www.visitlithuania.net/index.php ... urope.html

You'll find the answer in the movie. What's more, the movie is the prize. :)

Proterra

by Proterra » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:43 am

visentin wrote:Few others :

- On which peaks of the Tatras make the main ridge start and stop being the continental water divide ?

Cubryna, everything east of there flows out into the Dunajec and eventually ends up in the Baltic by means of Wisła, and the western end is Wołowiec, everything west of there flows into the Wag and will eventually end up in the Black Sea by means of Danube.

visentin wrote:- Which Polish mountain allows watching both the Tatras and the Karkonosze by clear weather ?

I've only seen Tatry and Karkonosze once, and that was from one of the new Q400's operated by Eurolot... I suppose that doesn't count... :P I think Śnieżnik would be the best candidate though...

visentin wrote:- Where from the Odra collects Carpathian water ?

From Cieszyn Silesia. Mainly Beskid Śląsko-Morawski and the western part of Beskid Śląski. And I'm not going to name all the (Czech) tributaries, although there is one which forms the border with Poland and that's the Olsa, which flows right through the city centre of Cieszyn.

Proterra

by Proterra » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

borutbk wrote:Hello !
That's not me on the pic, but I did climb a couple of times at the bunker in Berlin. The lower graded routes. Cool outing.

Nice!

I'm still waiting for the first bolted trad route done in Świebodzin though :D

PreviousNext

Return to Europe